Thread: vector mapping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thats really nice, was it a vector map or done in fractal mapper? My intention is not to do anything to the scale that you have. It'll be entirely b&w with hexes. It'll show a continent outline and I'd like to show major locations and smaller items as well. It's really for me so that in a year I can pull up a map hex and look to see what I've stuck in there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mwsasser View Post
    Thats really nice, was it a vector map or done in fractal mapper? My intention is not to do anything to the scale that you have. It'll be entirely b&w with hexes. It'll show a continent outline and I'd like to show major locations and smaller items as well. It's really for me so that in a year I can pull up a map hex and look to see what I've stuck in there.
    No, I write ViewingDale (dot com link in my sig). Its a kind of half 'n half vector/raster app. It uses raster bitmaps for all the icons and mapping - no vector or hand drawing capability, but it displays them at any scale you like so that in most cases you can zoom into it. If you set up the bitmaps so that you add more detail in smaller icons then it zooms in with no loss of resolution. The app manages all the generation and handling of the multi-resolution bit of it. So your left with adding layers of maps into a world at read fantasy world scales instead of pixel scales. So then when you add a cart or a person or whatever, they always appear at the correct scale in relation to all the maps you have added.

My advice is to try all the free ones like Fractal Mapper 8 trial with the links Mark has posted and if you dont find that suitable then you can look into the non free stuff like mine - actually there is a free trial of ViewingDale on the site too but its quite limited. As GP has mentioned, Xara is free on linux but costs on windows I believe. There is also Inkscape which is the open source free app similar to Adobe's Illustrator. There is CC3 which is non free, mainly vector as well as other odd ball ones too but all of these don't handle the LODs like I mentioned as they are not targeted specifically at the problem of displaying the whole world in one zoomable map.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-11-2011 at 06:33 AM.

All I want to do is make a b&w outline of a continent that I can zoom down to certain areas with. That way I know where I've placed certain villages, dungeons or whatever. If using illustrator or inkscape is the wrong thing to use, can you guys make some suggestions please?