Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painted figures...

Photography...meh. I've used white foam-core to make a ground/backdrop and turned on some upward-pointing halogens for lighting before. That's probably as advanced as I'll ever get on that front. LOL. I do have a tripod, however!

I always paint my minis with a matte varnish...but I'll sometimes apply gloss finish by hand to certain parts to make them shiny. I know some folks that prefer gloss, however.
    M

Here's a Warhammer 40K Imperial Guard Commissar I did up for our new Dark Heresy game I'm running. He played the part of Commissar Nihilius in Shattered Hope...though I expect he'll be showing up regularly. I also picked up a tech priest and an inquisitor. Will be painting those when I get some time.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	35524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	35525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c3.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	35526  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done Mearrin... I can't paint figures to save my life.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks very much. Now I'm going to have to learn to take better pictures using some of the advice above...

BTW, a tip for minis like this: if you have a 'pin vise' consider drilling out the barrel of your guns. The Warhammer minis have a small divot where the barrel is and it just doesn't paint well. I drilled that out and also through the side 'ventilation holes' and it looks pretty sharp.

Edit: Oh, and I highly recommend the bases I just found - pack of five pre-molded resin bases for $2.50 or so. These are made to look like 'diamond plate' with little do-dads stuck on but they have other types as well including rubble and some steampunky pipes and ductwork. I can look up the manufacturer if anyone's interested. I had to cut off the figure's mounting tab and drill and pin the figure to the base using CA and greenstuff but it worked very well. It looks better in person than in the photo!
    M
    Last edited by mearrin69; 05-04-2011 at 08:23 AM.

That's really nice mini work. I sort of knew there were drills that small, but I've never seen anyone use them on something like this. I'm ~okay~ at painting mini's, but not this good. My cousins began making rapid prototype custom mini's for a local gaming shop, and they got me started. They're on this level.
    Last edited by MarkoDarko; 06-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    I love custom mini's and gum... And I'm all out of gum.
    I cheat at facebook statuses, so sue me.

Hey, thought I would toss out this BLOOD BOWL Norse team I just finished painting for a player in our league.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FN Givers.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	649.4 KB 
ID:	36278
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Dude, those are sweet! The basing is very nice as well. Do the different base colors have significance in Blood Bowl?

I've been doing some more painting off and on. Will try to get a couple of photos up soon?

Blog Entries

Yeah sweet, you will need a snow covered pitch now to play on. Players in Blood Bowl have roles like the blockers and the throwers etc and you need to know who is who. I expect that's part of the coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Dude, those are sweet! The basing is very nice as well. Do the different base colors have significance in Blood Bowl?

I've been doing some more painting off and on. Will try to get a couple of photos up soon?
    Kinda. The individual colors vary from player to player, but for this person's team it is:

RED - Blitzer
    YELOW - Catcher
    WHITE - Passer
    BLACK - Linemen

Mostly a visual aid to tell what type of player is which and thus what basic skills they may/may not have.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done NK, but I would have though Norsemen would have a paler skin tone? These guys look like they all hang out at Club Med in the off-season
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast