I am with you here. There is definitely a place for this app. I made my sci-fi map with image magick which is a 2D text based image scripting tool much like this. I did the millions of random stars in that by using a simple script to whoop them all up. I agree, like leaves I would never have been able to do that manually. I think, therefore, that this app is another one of those things thats a useful tool in the box but is not the all encompassing tool of choice. As such we should all have a go with it and see what we can use it for. I think I am still on the hunt for a really good intuitive 3D modeller tool to complement this tho.

I would also suggest that you have a pop at Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua or similar. Those script languages can churn out text so easily and make writing these scene description files much easier. Perl + ImageMagick is really cool and can seriously make a difficult problem easy so it would be no different with this too. There is a chap on here (isomage ?) too who uses one of the languages to make automated star charts using SVG code in a browser too. What you could do with those + a 3D renderer would be amazing. I guess thats essentially what your town generator is tho isn't it.