Thread: Architecture of a Castle.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Wow, such a fast response. It's awesome that Mike is a member here, hopefully he can provide me some extras. I was going off the (modern) assumption that a new story is every 10ft. Hmmm. It's possible to figure it out based on the length of the staircases. Each stair case is 15ft long. Assuming a run of 1ft per step, that'd be 15 steps. 15 steps means 16 risers (One for each step, plus 1 for the "step" onto the actual landing/platform)

16 risers x 7.5 inches roughly = 120inches. 120in/12in = 10ft. So far, it seems my guess is on track.

However, I did notice something that says the "Embrasure sills on the first floor are roughly 12ft above the ground." At first I'd no idea what an "embrasure" is, but further reading enlightened me; they're basically arrow slits. Also, additonal reading enlightened me that the ceiling height is 15ft. Also, "The battlements ... are 25 feet above the ground level outside, and 15ft above the courtyards inside." This makes more sense, but makes for some really steep stairs, if the length of 15ft is to be taken as a given. Another 5ft in overall length and you could get a more manageable step.

I'm ashamed of myself, slightly. I should have done more reading.

(EDIT: I know the given statistics don't necessarily state the artists actual intentions, but at least it's something to go on.)
    Last edited by the-golem; 03-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.