Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: List of Mapping Software

Photoshop is very powerful image editing software that can be used to make (really incredible) maps, but it isn't mapping software, per se.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Quote Originally Posted by heruca View Post
    Photoshop is very powerful image editing software that can be used to make (really incredible) maps, but it isn't mapping software, per se.
    So are many others present in this list. A lot of people use it, so I am surprised that it is not there.

Let's have a look on inkarnate.com
    ... very lite, but sufficient for a quick geographical map ...

I'm shamelessly doing the promotion of the tool I made : http://hextml.playest.net

As the link suggests it's called Hextml, you can download maps, convert them to pictures, make submaps, draw fog of war, import custom textures and many other things!

Someone compiled a pretty extensive list of mapping software on the D&D 5th Edition Facebook group. I suspect you have to be a member of the group to see it, but here's the link, anyway.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Don't know is tilemap mappy was mentioned. I've thought of buying proversion for $11 but will have to contact as the site dates back to 2004. I have the free version and used it for mapping ultima iii on the gameboy.

I just ran into this, so I don't yet know how easy/hard it is to learn or edit, but I saw an example world (not mine) and figured that it'd probably be right up someone's alley (I've never found a need for a globe map in my RPG pursuits, but have often imagined and sometimes depicted them for artistic reasons):

https://www.maptoglobe.com/Hk0lyaLMX?key=BkgAgJpLfX

What doesn't kill me just p*sses me off... 😉

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned tectonics.js yet. Its not exactly a mapping program, its semi-hex-based and generates elevations and tectonic plates and things and then simulates their movement, etc. The blog explains it better than I can. You can export various views like plates, bedrock, elevation, etc. Its free and its a very interesting program I've been keeping an eye on.

Bump, now that MapForge has been released (months ago).

Quote Originally Posted by heruca View Post
    RobA, thanks for putting together this excellent list of map-making software.

Would it be possible to add my MapForge application to the list? It’s not an already-shipping product, but it’s been successfully funded since day 1 of the Kickstarter campaign, so it’s definitely coming to market, probably near the end of July 2017.

Here’s the info for the list, in case the answer is yes.

Title: MapForge
    Vendor: Battlegrounds Games
    Web Site: http://www.mapforge-software.com/
    Type: Raster & Tile Based
    Focus: 2D top-down mapping, generally at the tactical battlemap scale
    Platform: Windows 7-10 & Mac OS X (no native Linux support, but should be usable with WINE or Virtualbox)
    Price: $30 ($25-27 during the current Kickstarter campaign)
    Description:
    Locally-installed application intended for creating great-looking maps quickly and easily, either from scratch, with the help of a random generator, and/or using professional content Add-Ons. Offers support for layers, textures, and bitmap filter effects (e.g. drop-shadows, glows, blur, color/contrast/brightness adjustments, and bevel effects); Ten free content Add-Ons provide a great “Starter Kit”, usable without a license; huge selection of additional professional content Add-Ons for sale, some of which can be used for published or commercial map projects; supports print resolution as well as VTT resolution; artistic talent and technical skills not required.
    Examples:
    Dungeon, Tropical Island, more coming soon

Also, if you scroll down a little bit on my website's Links page, there is a decent list of other map-making software that you might wish to add to your list.
    Give MapForge a try.

Guild Apprentice

**Title:** Wonderdraft
    **Vendor:** Wonderdraft
    **Web Site:** https://www.wonderdraft.net/
    **Type:** Raster
    **Focus:** World Mapping
    **Platform:** Windows/Mac/Linux
    **Price:** $19.99 (Early Access Price)
    **Description:** An intuitive yet powerful fantasy map creation tool for 64-bit Windows 10, Linux, and MacOSX.
    **Examples:**
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qzlqoegcvsy11.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	5.92 MB 
ID:	111535
    Map by https://www.reddit.com/user/melissa2xs
    This and other examples can be found on the Wonderdraft subreddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wonderdraft...ou_for_giving/

Not associated with the program except as a user.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast