Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Mapping Software

Guild Novice

Pity they don't make this one anymore ImageSynth2
    http://www.luxology.com/imageSynth/
    Excellent for creating seamless textures from ANY image

Guild Applicant viper.inthe.snow's Avatar

This is an amazing thread, and exactly one of the things I was hoping to find here! Thanks for all the suggestions and contributions - lots of programs to play with and learn!

Guild Novice

I´ve used Aurora toolset in the past and i recommend it

The state of confusion in the pit of hell

I keep trying to get my head around CC3 plus add-ons, but someone (wish I could remember who) pointed out a simpler program, thought it was cosmographer, but that's ProFantasy again. It was a name like that, though.

I'm a bit behind the times in all this digital stuff and the VA didn't do me any favors, so simple but attractive is what I'm looking for, at least until I can get my brains back.

Blog Entries

I use the Gimp and Inkscape.

Fractal Mapper 8 is $34.95 DL or $39.95 CD. There is a sizeable discount available if you buy it bundled with The Keep.

Guild Novice

Title: Unity 3d game engine terrain toolkit
    Vendor: Unity3d
    Web Site: toolkit: http://unity3d.com/support/resources...errain-toolkit after you have the engine
    Type: Heightmap, 3d
    Focus: General/3D
    Platform: Windows/Mac/Linux/Web Based
    Price: $0
    Description:
    The Terrain Toolkit is an integrated set of tools for the Unity Editor which is designed to streamline and improve the workflow involved in creating realistic terrains for games. The toolkit enables the creation of large scale, realistic and playable game worlds within a very short time span.

Examples:
    Creating heightmaps http://vimeo.com/album/150503

Here's an example I made from the game Ultima Online's map in 3d:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reel_8.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	44691
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reel_9.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	44692

I can make scalable 3d maps of just about any feature/bay/mountain range based off a google image in around an hour for the base, it takes a little longer to paint on the textures, but definitely far faster than hand forming terrain...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the work done in this thread. It's making the hunt for the right tools so much easier.
    --
    TAZ

Guild Applicant

a quick scan of the thread and I didn't see Blender. Blender isn't a mapping software but rather a 3D modeling software like Maya but the price is right - free. Its pretty powerful software with Perl support built in so you can write your own algorithms (if you are so inclined). There are tools that allow for terrain mapping and the animation functionality is pretty sweet. I can't imagine you would use this for 2d maps, but for 3D scenes and fly by films it is good stuff. There is a huge learning curve, but don't let that scare you. There is plenty of support, documentation, and tutorials as well as a vibrant online community. You can learn more at www.blender.org.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Someday I will be able to use Blender. The learning curve feels like a cliff. I'm currently attempting to model my boat modification in it (in my oh-so-copious free time lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast