Thread: List of Mapping Software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow. Really way too short of a wait time before timing out. :-)

johnvanvliet: I am sorry you seem to hate XP - but both will run on XP also.

Mark Oliva: Yeah - that is what I wound up doing. I notice there isn't an Edit feature for something you've already posted. I noticed a few typos after I posted and had wanted to correct them. Am I missing something?

MS DOS - Still used at Universities because it is very stable. A friend at the Chemistry Department at the University of Houston uses it to analyze the chemical composition of molecules using a million dollar x-ray projector device. On the internet it is estimated that 0.0000001% of the almost 3 Billion people use it to get on the internet. How? I don't know.

Windows v3.1 - Still used. I have two friends that still use this OS. They get on the internet and do everything everyone else does (except things that use jQuery or Java, etc...). They love that their 1.8Ghz systems can still use the OS. Only I think they only get to use something like 512MB of memory or maybe even less than that. Estimate on the internet is 0.000001% of the people still use it. Most of these people are found in Europe where some people believe 8-bit systems are fast enough for what they need it to do. My wife's parents who live in the boonies out in Arizona only recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows v3.1. They kept all of their private information on it as well as the volunteer fire department's information and records.

Windows 95 & Windows 98se: I just finally got some clients to upgrade from these to Windows 8.1. This was only because their hard drives had started to go bad and I have been laid up with DVT since last Thanksgiving.

Apple ][+ thru Apple //gs - Still used. Mainly for hobbist. I have a //gs which sports such thinigs as an SD card interface card and a USB interface card and an Ethernet card. I can surf the net with it and it isn't all that slow.

Lisa Mac thru the Power Macs - I own a Power Mac and can do everything up to Netscape Navigator v4.x. Last Mac I owned before switching to PCs.

midgardsormr : That is very true. Only buy the full blown package unless you happen to own the earlier one. Even then you should just buy the full blown package. I've had updates muck everything up before. :-/
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-22-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: merging double posts