Thread: A Photoshop Map of Mine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

This is real neat and I like it. Its the way I do my kind of maps too. I use a height map and run a terrain simulation and set up the rainfall bitmaps and temperature bitmaps and let the simulation grow plants in the temperate/tropical not too dry regions then the results I shade using a texture mapping shader with the bitmaps controlling the blending. Doing rivers is hard work and I think Wilbur is probably your best bet. Waldronate is the best person to ask about that app but several people around here get some great river patterns using it if you want to have a deep search for those posts. Su-Liam is well up on these noise patterns too and has written some good posts about that kind of thing too.

If you have the height map (esp in 16bit) then you can run my free terrain viewer to see it in 3D. It goes up to 2048 but its well slow at that res. If you want to play with that then save a "Height.bmp" and a "Color.bmp" file in the same directory. Along with the usual buttons it lists on the help page, press the numbers 1-8 for specific resolution changes where 1 is something like 128 res then 256, 384, 512, 768, 1024, 1536 and 2048. Prob best to resample both images to 2048 square before starting the app for best effect.

Also, if your generally looking for inspiration in this terrain type area that thing I was doing with the bitmaps is covered with a gallery over here but the app and shader to do it was never released publicly.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-24-2011 at 10:24 PM.