Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
Sounds interesting. I'm curious about copyright however.
OK, let me explain some of the legal stuff. It's possible that the game may turn into a "mod" version of MM6/7/8, because we don't have the rights to distribute any Might & Magic branded material. Several mods for both Might & Magic 6 and Might & Magic 7 have already been made, and can be found along with our project at Celestial Heavens here: http://www.celestialheavens.com/foru...ic.php?t=10622.

We do, however, have the freedom to design artwork and things such as landmass, overland areas, and dungeons using the game's original engine (Horizon). There are complications with this, so we are thinking about switching engines and going with an open-source one. If we continue to use the Horizon engine, a copy of MM6/7/8 will be required by the gamer in order to install Might & Magic 10. Either way, because of all of the copyrights to the franchise owned by Ubisoft, we will neither be able to charge people money to buy MM10, nor be able to spend money on our project, because we won't have any possible income to compensate for our losses.

Ubisoft has also made it clear that they were scrapping the old universe in which the Might & Magic games take place (for those of you who know M&M, Enroth & Axeoth have been replaced with the world of Ashan), so Ubi will not being making an MM10. This doesn't mean they won't be making a brand new Might & Magic RPG in the future, but it certainly won't be in the legacy that Might & Magic 10 is set in.

As for the world map, and the other maps that we will need in the future, these will fall under the "artwork" category, or more appropriately "fan art", so I highly doubt anyone will go around complaining about copyrights. In essence, the old Might & Magic legacy can be categorized as something along the lines of "owned abandonware."

In the best case scenario, we could strike a deal and affiliate with Ubisoft, and sell Might & Magic 10 through them, gaining some of the royalties as well. Perhaps it would be in their best interest if we make the game good enough. That would allow Ubisoft to make some free revenue, minus the costs of advertising.

-A.