Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
For filling in the Adriatic Sea, try drawing a selection around it and then setting elevation to 0, rather than trying to paint it by hand. Then you can go through and hand-paint any terrain features you want. You will lose the existing terrain though, so you if you wanted to keep something from it, save off an image and use that image to try and replicate it afterward.
Yeah, but this runs into the same problem that simply trying to paint terrain runs into: I use the freehand selection tool to select an area, and then when I complete the selection, it's actually off--in the case of the Adriatic, I carefully select the seabed, and then when I complete the selection loop and click, the selection becomes the eastern half of Italy and western half of the Adriatic.

I hear what you're saying about zoom issues. I guess I oversimplified what I was actually hoping to do: I don't necessarily want to be able to zoom to any scale to export maps. I just want to be able to not worry about re-creating base data when making new maps. If, for example, I have a map of the Mediterranean area, I want to be able to create a new map of southern Europe using the same data. I thought that creating the world in FTPro would be the best idea, so I could just re-export different views/scales to CC3 when needed. The more I play with FTPro, though, the less handy it seems for world editing--seems like it's more for random world generation.

It's frustrating to try to select & edit specific areas of the map, only to end up with the tools selecting/editing other areas. Which leads me to try to guess where the edits will actually happen, which leads to weird results (including the aforementioned problem of built-up terrain creating basins, and vice versa).

I'm going to try a few more things, take a look at some of the resources people have suggested, and then maybe give up on FTPro completely. I don't mind so much paying for software that turns out useless, but it does bug me that I won't have my world preserved in a single datafile that I can reproject at any point.