Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
It's a tough thing to get right and I'm no master of it...still experimenting to improve my water. My best results have come from using an invisible "template layer" the shape of my body of water. Then I'll create many layers with varying degrees of transparency over that. I've also tried several different blending modes (say for ripple shine on top or to get "caustics" underneath) and transparency masks to make the water more transparent toward the shallows.

I'm uploading some of my better examples...all use this basic technique (plus maybe some hand-painting for whitecaps and flow).
M

[edit]Click the one with docs for a larger view...most of the others don't zoom much.
The first three have "drop banks" and I specifically was a fter a slippery gradual slope at the edges. Muddy and slippery and we did have some fun with that

The last two are closer to what I was after, but like I said I plain ran out of time. The one with the ship at the docs in particular is close to what I was after. What technique did you use for that? Are the white caps done with color level/curve and overlay/soft light? I think I can do somethign with that next time.

All suggestions welcome... Think I'll do some practice runs on them.

Jaxilon, Port Paladine, et al...

Thanks for the rep... But I seriously don't feel I deserve it.

Cheers!