Thread: Hand-drawn town WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist

So here's the latest. I'm really, really unhappy with how fiddly I started making the fields. I let my mind wander while I was working, and my hand just sort of went off on it's own natural tendency to render the heck out of things. Chalk it up as a learning experience, I suppose.

I don't have a good way to fix it on the original (I don't have any opaque white that won't mess up the look of the watercolors) so I'll just try to clear up some the fiddly bits in the field in Photoshop later on. I'll probably go ahead and render out the rest of the fields, though, so the original will at least have a consistent look.

Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    What...your pen doesn't have a ctrl-Z setting??
    I wish! I'd have needed a LOT of levels of Undo, though.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

This looks so awesome. I feel encouraged to draw some more, ever since I also tend to predraw with pencil and then ink over - but it'll take some practice before it looks like that.

To be honest the fields do seem just a teensy-tinsy bit busy, but nothingt hat distracts the eye. The roads, on the other hand I think drag the composition down, dragging away from the buildings and the layout. That's not to say it's not a great map (it is), just one part that I personally didn't care for as much.

So what's next? Coloring? I can't wait--this is a very pleasing map-in-process!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist

Started adding some color last night. As I mentioned, I'm using watercolor pencils for most of the coloring; I have some traditional tube watercolors as well that I'm using for a few colors.

The road has been shaded in with the pencils using the same colors as the beach (a deep cadmium yellow and just a touch of ochre brown). You can see how much difference a little water makes!

It doesn't show up at all in the scan, but I added a bit of foam onto the water with some white pastel.

Still have a lot more glazing to do; the rooftops aren't going to stay that fire engine red for long!

When it's all done I'll post up a link to a high-res version if you guys really want to get in and see how sloppy my watercolor work really is.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    To be honest the fields do seem just a teensy-tinsy bit busy, but nothingt hat distracts the eye. The roads, on the other hand I think drag the composition down, dragging away from the buildings and the layout. That's not to say it's not a great map (it is), just one part that I personally didn't care for as much.

So what's next? Coloring? I can't wait--this is a very pleasing map-in-process!
    I wouldn't say it's great. Definitely too busy; I'm not use to thinking in color when I'm just drawing by hand, since I usually work in black and white with, at most, a single color wash or something similar to provide a bit of gray. I just have to remember next time to leave some of the work for the color!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games

Guild Journeyer

I must admit that I am anxious to see this finished so I can chop it up into symbols to use in my own maps. I am nowhere as good with a pen.

And for that reason, Repped!