Thread: Does the Earth's Spin effect the movement of the continental plates?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting question Thurlor, I am not a geologist, but I am quite well versed in quoting that oh-so-accurate-and-never-erroneous reference known as Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Regarding the driving mechanism of the plates various models co-exist: Tectonic plates are able to move because the Earth's lithosphere has a higher strength and lower density than the underlying asthenosphere. Lateral density variations in the mantle result in convection. Their movement is thought to be driven by a combination of the motion of seafloor away from the spreading ridge (due to variations in topography and density of the crust that result in differences in gravitational forces) and drag, downward suction, at the subduction zones. A different explanation lies in different forces generated by the rotation of the globe and tidal forces of the Sun and the Moon. The relative importance of each of these factors is unclear, and is still subject to debate (see also below).
    I'm sure you could read the rest of the article yourself, but in general there is very little evidence for a directional preference of tectonic motion. Recently scientists have determined that there is a slightly Westward bias to the total motion of all tectonic plates (there are plates moving in all directions though), but it is unclear if this is actual or just a result of the dominance of the increasingly large pacific plate (which is expanding westward from its ridge).

Wish I could be more help.

Edit: Again, take all this with a grain of salt. I am only summarizing what I just read on wikipedia.
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 04-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.