Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by wrapping a fractal terrain around a ring. Do you mean in a 3D modeling sense?
Well, in Fractal Terrains there is the option to create either a 'planar' world or a synthetic world with the fractal function wrapped around the globe and pinched at the poles. How would I go about setting up a fractal function to wrap around the ring but not pinch the top and bottom edges as they are not poles? Or is this not possible in FT?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
Projection wise, perhaps a series of maps, broken up into degree lots, so you'd really be making say, 8 maps of 45 degrees, or 24 maps of 15 degrees. Looks like a massive undertaking.
A very massive undertaking if I go with a full sized Ring World. Large enough that I'd probably want to break it up into 'equirectangular' sized maps. Looking back at my first post I realise that I may be wrong in opting for a ring with a height equal to the Earth's radius (through the poles). Any (reasonable) arbitrary figure should work - 20,000km (half Earth's circumference). So, simple maths tells me I get (940,000,000/2)/20,000=23,500 map sections, each covering 0°0'55.15'' (I think). That tells me I will NEVER actually be mapping out a Ring World, but it doesn't stop me from having fun playing with the idea. Though I might consider mapping important chunks.

Now I'm wondering if the ring should be flat or concave to result in varying solar input. If I do go with a concave model, then I would probably go with the same curvature as the Earth (north to south). This would obviously result in a distortion on a flat projection, but due to the scales involved it would be so, so tiny as to be hardly worth taking into account (I'm not 100% sure of this or the maths required).