58 views and nothing? I actually spent hours on this but didn't want to make my original post too noisey.

In case anyone stumbles in here looking for something related...

In the Tutorials/How-To forum I found Ascension's Photoshop Town Tutorial and Pyrandon's A medieval town map tutorial in Photoshop.

These look good but I don't have PS ... I was hoping for GIMP help and wouldn't know where to start with PS, assuming I could get access to it. And I just don't have time to wade through the conversion - I can see other folks have puzzled through that and it just looks like it'll take more time than I can devote.

I did see Alfar's Gimp Plugin: A better lazy man's city? and played with it. It'll be useful but it'll take a lot of work to clean up and get into shape.

Of course I trawled the Town/City Mapping forum. While there's plenty of great maps there these are mostly for much bigger or smaller villages, towns and cities.

More widely I found the following, which aren't too bad in terms of style, etc. But none of them look like they'll work for this map, assuming their owner lets me use them (with modifications)...

Anyway hopefully someone looking for something similar will find something useful in that lot.