Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wings Of Mystery Plane Ship

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Wings Of Mystery Plane Ship

After this months challenge I got the idea to do the ship that carried our hero to the Caverns of The Dragonqueen. I struggled with the outline of this ship to say the least. A Google search led me to several ideas that I kind of mashed together to come up with this. The wings were my idea and would only come out during planar travel as not to arouse too much suspicion...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wings Of Mystery.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	33096
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Sounds interesting! Looking forward to seeing the rest

Guild Novice

I'm liking the looks of this...
    I <3 ships =o

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting...looking forward to see what you come up with.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Wip

Got a little more done on this (I'm in the midst of some personal stuff so I can't devote as much time to this as I'd like ) I added a grid as I'm considering actually writing an adventure for this and the Caverns Of the Dragonqueen (we'll see) And more of my "blobs" to keep with the theme.

Views:	98 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	33187
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

I think this is mostly done. I might change the color of the callouts though after I look at it some more. I really wanted to finish this as it made for a nice distraction to what is going on in my RL at the moment..

Views:	168 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	33192

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

I kind of felt like I rushed this a bit last night. So with a clearer head I went back and took a long look at it. The premise I had concoted was ridiculous. If this ship had no mundane transportation function why did it look like a ship? Why not a cube or a sphere or anything else? Why have a mess and a storage area? As you can see I kicked myself around pretty good I have been (and will be in the future) guilty of trying to get over on myself. Sometimes I come up with an idea that I like and rush off to make something out of it without giving a lot of thought to how it would actually work. I am a major offender in the "magic will explain it" category and usually I am ok with that but this time it just felt like I was "cheating" both the map and myself. I went back and made the "Wings" a ship she has masts and a rudder now and actually has a reason to be moored in Stormhaven Harbor. I've decided to write that adventure now I just need to learn the 4e rules..

Views:	173 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	33205

Finished Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    I kind of felt like I rushed this a bit last night. So with a clearer head I went back and took a long look at it. The premise I had concoted was ridiculous. If this ship had no mundane transportation function why did it look like a ship? Why not a cube or a sphere or anything else? Why have a mess and a storage area? As you can see I kicked myself around pretty good I have been (and will be in the future) guilty of trying to get over on myself. Sometimes I come up with an idea that I like and rush off to make something out of it without giving a lot of thought to how it would actually work. I am a major offender in the "magic will explain it" category and usually I am ok with that but this time it just felt like I was "cheating" both the map and myself. I went back and made the "Wings" a ship she has masts and a rudder now and actually has a reason to be moored in Stormhaven Harbor. I've decided to write that adventure now I just need to learn the 4e rules..
    I don't think your original premise was that bad, to be honest.

But if you want to have an explanation for why the ship looks like a winged ship, perhaps you could go back to Spelljammer, have the ship built on the Prime Material Plane and then have a group like the githyanki hijack the ship and take it to the Astral Plane. It could then travel from there to the Abyss and get sold or stolen there.

BTW: I like your moving wing sails. If you read the SJ novel Beyond the Moons, it has a ship with wing sails that smell like cooking meat when they catch fire. Maybe your wing-sails are somehow alive. Perhaps they have been harvested from a giant wyvern-like creature.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

Really nice. I really like flying ships, they are kind of cool. In my Etrakien world they used to have flying ships but they forgot all about them, but around the world you can find the old "airports" that are huge towers that no one knows what they are good for anymore.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Guild Novice

That looks really good JT. I don't think I'd ever be able to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast