Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Athun (WIP)

Great start the fella. The currents and tides through the Panama-like bit would be fearsome! Look forward to seeing how it develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Donner View Post
    Woops, I didn't realize there was an actual group called the River Police on here, I figured it was some friendly chiding directed at my comments
    Ha ha I was going to say you should apply for a recruitment application form as it looks like you know you're stuff, seems like you've already been noticed tho...

Cheers Tigon it add to the defensive positions of a couple of fortresses situated amongst the isles... Just got back onto this and should hopefully have another upload this weekend after the long easter/ bank holiday breaks

Default Updated Athun Map

Hi all, I've added some greenery and started populating the map with towns, roads etc, still a lot to do, any feedback would be great, still not 100% sure about the forested areas and need to rectify some brush 'glitches' in the mountains of the southern landmass...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AthunV8.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	35626  
    Last edited by illustranaut; 05-08-2011 at 06:19 PM.

The forests look fine to me, but to be honest the shade of red you've selected for roads/passage ways and icons seems to clash with the other colors of the map. I would suggest going with a dark maroon or burgundy. Otherwise, it's coming together really nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks superb except you've got a lot of river splits.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    The forests look fine to me, but to be honest the shade of red you've selected for roads/passage ways and icons seems to clash with the other colors of the map. I would suggest going with a dark maroon or burgundy. Otherwise, it's coming together really nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Deffo agree with you on that, although when I change the colour space to CMYK that should tone it down, but I'm thinking brown or burgundy would look better

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think it looks superb except you've got a lot of river splits.
    Haha, you are right, I'll be correcting that, me thinks

To be specific about the dividing rivers issue, places like the flat bit east of Deeping Helt could be plausible deltas, as could Ascalan's environs, particularly if your few depicted branches are just representative simplification of a maze of bayous and backwaters. But the topography you've placed in some, like the rise amidst the forks west of Rimengaerd, or the three splits on the SE coast, way east of Ascalan, seem to show a river seriously branching on its way seaward. And they don't.

Water follows the path of least resistance, always in the lowest direction from a given point. There won't be *two* directions honestly lowest. Iinches would be enough difference to cause draining one way over another. And if there ever is a temporary case of equal-height outlets from a point, the action of the flowing water would wear one lower than the other. Then soon, you'd be back to the expected one-way-flow, and the alternative path would be dry (or ox-bow lake, etc). Sure, maybe in flood, it would get flow too - there's some cool situations like that in the real world as examples. The lower Mississippi and its interactions with the Red River and the Atchafalaya are about as big as you get, with real distributaries, and the land thereabouts is seriously flat. So you more often get modest islands - that between the American and Canadian falls at Niagara, or Grand Isle just upstream - a few hundred yards and couple of miles long, respectively. Some large islands you can't count - Manhattan at eight or ten miles long is really surrounded by sea-level river, right? But bigger than that? Those three splits look to be what - dozens to a hundred miles long? With hills in between? Which does bring up the possibility of steering toward realism by broadening some of those rivers at and downstream from splits into ocean inlets. Then you don't have illicit branching; you'd have outright islands.

If you come up with as awesome a name for a distributary as the Atchafalaya River, we'll consider giving you one free get-out-of-jail card :-).

The river thing is a technicality, a realism issue. The map overall is going great. I want the lighthouse monopoly among that archipelago east of Na'Daur Kaloth :-).

Btw, have you decided on a scale? The biomes make me think equator-ish at the south, to seventy or eighty degrees north, at the top. Is that close?
    Last edited by jbgibson; 05-10-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Haha, I definately need to brush up on the river thing, got a bit carried away with those splits! I changed them last night, there are now only two deltas now, the one at Ascalan and the other if the one running through the permafrost on the northern coast of the main landmass.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    If you come up with as awesome a name for a distributary as the Atchafalaya River, we'll consider giving you one free get-out-of-jail card :-).
    I still have some rivers to put a name to before I label the map, I think I may need the 'Get-out-of-jail Card'

The river thing is a technicality, a realism issue. The map overall is going great. I want the lighthouse monopoly among that archipelago east of Na'Daur Kaloth :-).
    You may have to change that to 'Beacon' Monopoly i'm still looking into the possibility of removing some islands, need to look into whether there are any real world equivalents of this kind of area... and how permanent the Island could be with such fierce tides rolling in and out of the channels.

Btw, have you decided on a scale? The biomes make me think equator-ish at the south, to seventy or eighty degrees north, at the top. Is that close?
    Not quite worked out the scale yet, although I had the delta at Ascalan somewhere between 30 and 40 miles wide, you are very close with the equator , it runs roughly through the islands at the bottom left, the map is orientated a bit to the Northwest.
    Last edited by illustranaut; 05-11-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Blog Entries

You also have a lake on the SE island with two exit rivers.

Love your landmass shapes btw, very nice indeed. Personally I preferred your mountains on the previous version but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of these style of mountains but I will admit that you've done them very well, much better than most in fact.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast