• Legendary City of Emria - by Djekspek

4 13.33%
  • Beacon Station Awaterra 6 - by LonewandererD

19 63.33%
  • Triqua Under-Ocean - by Thurlor

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** April Challenge Voting - Aquatic Civilization ***

Always the bridesmade and never the bride... Good job, LonewandererD!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We CLs have to hibernate for a month every year in order to recoup our mojo.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Picked the Legwendary City, I know it's unfinished but I like the execution and the concept.

Sadly the Underocean was just too unfinished to vote for.

The Citadel is nice too, but doesn't feel like a map, really. The Sea River simpyl isn't aquatic enough, though it's an awesome design. The beacon station looks awesome too - this would have been my main choice but I decied to pick the whale city because, well, damnit it's a city on the back of a giant whale!

Though, conceptually, I wanted to go with Djekspek's "Legendary City of Emria", I had to choose LonewandererD's "Beacon Station Awaterra 6". The Legendary City had the best original scheme but was unfinished while Beacon Station, lacking in originality, gave us a beautiful, finished rendering of an underwater utopia.

Had to vote for LoneWandererD's map simply because it has a distinctive Sci-Fi look to the map and the CG is woefully lacking in Sci-Fi map designs. Djekspek's work is always remarkable, but then the entry wasn't finished, and I have higher expectations from him.

I do find it curious that several have commented that my entry doesn't look 'underwatery', yet I've gone Scuba diving in a dry suit in Puget Sound (among other places) and my entry looks exactly as it does in about 50 feet of water in the sea. Because of my experience having actually seen it in person, I am unable to create an underwater scene that might be better excepted by member votes (and not look like it really does.) I've seen the ocean at this depth and this is what it really looks like. So I'm at a loss for these kinds of comments.

But I've got more than enough wins under my belt. I wasn't seeking a challenge win, so much, as needing to make an undersea map - something I particularly enjoy doing. It looks like LoneWandererD has this challenge sewn up!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All the reefs that I've been diving on in the Caribbean are usually quite dull and boring and mostly brownish. Someday I'll get to the Great Barrier Reef and see what a cool reef looks like.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Actually the second largest reef in the world is off the Yucatan, mostly along Belize and part of Mexisco - so you don't have to go all the way to Australia to dive onto a large and lovely reef. Not that I'd ever see it, but photos of the Red Sea show an amazing amount of coral there. My experience of Puget Sound, even in a dry suit, was mostly - its damn cold out there! I did the dive only to witness the octopus common there, and I saw a few.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

well well, we turn into a diving community .... I can recommend the Red Sea, been diving there a couple of times and can say it's amazing (especially the temperature of the water Regarding the 'underwater look' of your map GP, at about ten feet depth the red is mostly gone, so I think your map has a little too much red in it for that depth (unless someone has been using phostoshop to bring the colors back to life after taking the picture cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Had to vote for Lonewanderer's map - it's a great looking piece. And as for reefs, I can recommend the diving off Malaysia - particularly the Perhentian Islands. They have leatherback turtles and it's just magical.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Congratulations to LoneWandererD for a fine win. I'm sure Immolate will be along shortly to give you your well deserved medal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast