Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP: The Harborside Ambush

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's looking good. I love the shark.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Info

I have some textures for you that might help.

A "Plank" Texture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surface_08b.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	36081

This texture is 512px X 512px so it's a little small but I've used it for everything from docks to wooden floors.

A "Road" Texture

Name:	mud_grass.jpg 
Views:	10977 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	36082

This is also 512 X 512 but is one of my favorite "dirt" textures as it has just a little grass in it to differentiate it from a "gravel" road. I hope you can use these and Good Luck.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Both of those textures have been an amazing help to me. I really do appreciate all the help as well. I think I'm pretty much at what I'd call a 'finished product' for what I'm attempting to accomplish. I ended up using both textures that you posted, though I used your suggestion for the road to be more of the general dirt layer instead. Then I swapped up the 'road' textures with another stone texture and lowered the opacity a bit to let some of the dirt layer show through. I think it ended up creating a nice sense of a rough, stone road that's being encroached upon by the grass and mud around it. Out of curiosity, is the only way to get the image to show a grid to either take a screencap with the grid turned on or to make a 'grid layer'?

Name:	Fancy Ambush 2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	36116

Blog Entries

That really looks great. I would either draw or use a stroke in black around where you have the "broken" dock. Put it on it's own layer and you can adjust the opacity till it just shows up. It will add some depth to that area and make it pop. As for the grid here is a really easy tutorial for making a grid layer. It's made for Photoshop but the steps are the same in GIMP.

Finished Maps

Theres a filter under patterns that is to create a grid on the current layer. Just set the spacing to how ever px wide and the thickness to your hearts desire and ensure the offset is 0 and your solid.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Thanks guys. Out of curiosity jt, what do you mean when you say to 'stroke' the border? What tool are you referring to in that regard?

Blog Entries

Info

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I made an example on your image for you. I used a circle brush (11px) at 0.15 scale (you could also use a smaller circular brush that was just the one that was in front of me) and drew a brown (554400) line along the edge of your dock. I used the shift key to help me draw a straight line.
    Name:  Fancy Ambush 2.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  35.1 KB

Finished Maps

Ah ok, so it's basically just adding additional layers of color along the edges to give more of a sense of depth then?

Blog Entries

Yes thats it. It gives the edge some definition.

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12