Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Workshop

Default World Workshop

Welcome to my corner. I decide to make some global thread where is mix of blog, my map-making progress, discussion (if your will be kind to give me some opinions) and else. May be it will be some humble tutorial, because my hard-earned expirience finds place here. Well, before cartography I'm D&D DM. Im my case DMing = Setting-making. I think its not uncommon way here. So... Quest is simple - make world. And I start from map. Concept not wery unique: general part of known world - giant continent somewhat inspired by Asia. My primary goal - build rather generic fantasy earth-like geography to provide adventurers (my players) with huge variety of landscapes and interesting places to visit.

Some updates every week.

Work in process... 29 march 2011 update.

DETAILED SW-REGION
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avent_steppe.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	34703

WHOLE WORLD MAP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aventyr_v_beta copy.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	34704
    Last edited by Sergei Zybin; 03-29-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Very interesting technique laying down the colour splats like that. I can see from your other posted images that its quite a work intensive method but it sure does look good.

Thanks, Redrobes. Right observation - it is slow variant, but works as compensation to lack of art skill (at least I hope so). But I trying learn with every new map and joined this community for this ultimate goal. Many talented and skilled people here, so I hungry to knew some new tricks : )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks great when scaled down to a smaller size...looks fabulous like that. So if you were to work twice as big then scale it down that would be pretty cool as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension, thanks for your vision. Yes, I think final version will be scaled so smaller size than work-one.

Map in post #1 updated. Day 2 progress (slow due time-eating job in school). Mostly I try my best in NW region of world, making mountains and some coastlines. Well also i was in passion to make somewhat non-realistic, but epic features to map like strait between deadly frozen rocks. Another problem - find optimal and balanced form for "nothern sea" - I still trying new borders. Greater part of work awaits. Colors tricks- backbone of my non-ergonimical tehnique.

Blog Entries

I really love how your mountains turn out.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, how did I not notice this before??? Those mountains are just great. Awesome work, man.

Thanks, guys!

After viewing some tutorials here and reading useful discussions, I little improved (as I hope to) my map. Now its another "corner" of world detailed. Because I little tired from nothern wastes. Now we in steppes of south : ) No rivers or water details yet. My general goal to make map more like oil-paint-piece-of-art, then just photoshop exercise. No matter the time (yes, rather fanatical).

And I want to ask some advice from you. How can I improve texture of steppes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aven_map1.PNG 
Views:	166 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	34685  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those mountains are fantastic...very nice. As for the steppe, I don't really know. It's essentially a frozen, or normally cold, grassland with few trees and bushes. It doesn't have to be flat so maybe some hills and some grassy things, a few small trees. I don't really know.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension, Im very apreciative for you constant rewieving of my works : ) Thanks.

1-st post was updated. World map and detailed part downloaded. I created something like special texture for steppes (what is uncommon for my style) and now trying to aply it better. Another thing - I start draw some special locatioe - dried sea, harsh area where lizardfolk will live.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast