Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May Challenge 2011 Entry: The Empire of Tyddarheym

I think that the most frightening with this map is how quickly it has been done. If had done a map of this size we would have needed a 6 months long challenge, at least. And it really turns out great looking too :-)
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Another Sapiento work of beauty!!! I really like your sand dunes!
    Thank you! Your own entry looks supberb, too - great mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    I think that the most frightening with this map is how quickly it has been done. If had done a map of this size we would have needed a 6 months long challenge, at least. And it really turns out great looking too :-)
    Thank you! Speed comes with experience; the more maps you make, the faster you get usually. If I remember how long my first maps needed for finishing...better not think of it

looking great! and it definitely has the Sapiento look and feel. And indeed, man i wish i could work as fast as you (before you'll know it, you'll 'outspeed' GP . cheers, DJ

Wip

Thank you, DJ!

Another update. First river and sea names added, also the shields of the subdivisions of the Empire.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyddarheym.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	35782  

Wip

I think of this map as some kind of ancient school-atlas with as much information as possible - location of towns of course, but also economic and historical information. Therefore additional detail added: legend with political, economic and historical icons; scale bar, compass upgrade for one of the navigation stars. On the map itself I put fields beside some towns (more to be added), icons for goods and event information, the internal borders etc.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyddarheym.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	35848  

Absolutely gorgeous Sap, and with so much detail. Just one thing I'm curious about, many of your town labels are set at an angle when there doesn't seem to be a need for it, just curious about your thinking there.

Blog Entries

Nice map with lots of extra details to make it come alive.

The only thing I don't really like is that many of your forests have hugely noticeable patterning to them. And the bit that always jumps out especially is the area of forest north of Embesbach which looks really odd when the rest of that forest looks nice and randomly placed.

Other than that though, lovely map and good luck in the challenge.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous Sap, and with so much detail. Just one thing I'm curious about, many of your town labels are set at an angle when there doesn't seem to be a need for it, just curious about your thinking there.
    Thank you, ravs! I remember I saw once a really old medieval map, where the labels seemed chaotic with no real order, so as if the cartographer sat in different positions when writing the words. This is more or less an imitation of it. Maybe I went a little bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Nice map with lots of extra details to make it come alive.

The only thing I don't really like is that many of your forests have hugely noticeable patterning to them. And the bit that always jumps out especially is the area of forest north of Embesbach which looks really odd when the rest of that forest looks nice and randomly placed.

Other than that though, lovely map and good luck in the challenge.
    Thank you, Ramah. I'll have a look at the forests.

Ah, I knew that there had to be a reason.

I'm just guessing and don't know which medieval map you looked at, but could it be that the labels were jammed in at any angle because the mapper was using all available space and there was not much? Many of the Medieval maps I've seen are really crowded, labelwise.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast