Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May 2011 Challenge Entry: No Title Yet

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I said before this map is just amazing. The only thing that my eye catches as "off" is the title. The blue doesn't seem to fit the style of the map. Of course that is just my opinion.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Compositionally, it's left-of-center so you feel off balance. You could crop off some of the right side to bring the nation into the center, but I don't think it's a big deal because then it gets too static (boring). Also the darker top feels like a weight crushing down so you could balance that with some dark at the bottom. Yeah, the title needs a tweak. Frame looks awesome now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Yup, border looks stunning now. I don't mind the colour of the map title, it seems to go well to me. But I guess it does look more "digital" than the rest of the map so kinda sticks out a little.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

the border is just spot on. I wasn't sure there was a problem with the old one until I saw how much better the new one is. Again, I just don't have the 'eye' that Ramah and Ascension have, (my eye for composition is particularly bad), but maybe the problem with this is that the main subject isn't quite within the 'rule of thirds'? Dunno.

indeed, the focus point is off somehow. I checked it against fibonacci golden ratio, but I think it's more a combination of main subject size and it's location. I did a little crop and made the main subject relatively bigger. And indeed the dark shade in the higher half was wrong (I added it to give it more depth but it wasn't working as intended). Also added some more 'body' to the title. I think it's finished now but I may do some last tweaks and twists.

Anyway, all thanks very much for the comments/critique! cheers, DJ

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAY_NEW07.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	35852  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

man this guy is good.

Now I finally know how all the wrestlers that had to go up against Karelin felt.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Count the medals, my friend! The thing I absolutely love about DJ's maps is that none of them are generic. They all have personality and character written all over them, not to mention the fact that they are beautifully drawn and there is a minimum or no filters used. The only other mapper I can think of that works in this way is Torstan (and his maps are as beautiful but in a different way). Both are mappers at the top of their game!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected SilenBlade's Avatar

Awsome Job ! huh, I want to have souch talent in my hands

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast