Thread: So I have just landed a book deal and needed to make a map....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Yeah, my thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Congrats, man!

I really like the basic map style and the mountains are very nice. Not sure about the forest, though.

It took me some time to even see the forests! And I am not sure if the forest-style mixes well with the rest of the map.
    Also, this kind of "bending the letters into form" you have going, for example with the Crystal Mountains, is kind of distracting to me.

Anyway, hope that does not sound too harsh. Just my first impression and my two cents.

Oh and please tell us a bit about your upcoming book!
    What would you suggest for the forest? more of a linear render like the mountains? I was going for something more textured, but It kinda gets lost.

I agree again about the curvy labels, but I needed to differentiate between land feature titles and place titles... I guess I just got photoshop happy.

No no, not too harsh at all. this is what I wanted to hear. Everyone I show this too around me just says its looking great, and I need some harsh internet objectivity.

Yeah.... okay. here goes.

The basic premise is a world of ubiquitous magic and we follow the story of one boy who has no magic at all. Turns out that having no magic makes him quite important.

Can't really say too much more at the moment. In the middle of editing and cover design. I'll be making a shout-out to this place though when it gets printed.

T.B
    Last edited by T.B. McKenzie; 05-12-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: this is all new to me, and didn't realise you don't write answers into the quote like I normal do with emails.