Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Award Winner] Painting maps in Painter

Woops, kind of assumed it would be clear

What I mean by blending, is taking a blender-brush in Painter, or another smudge tool, and lightly going over the edges of the colours so that edge fades and a somewhat smooth transition is made.

In Painter this specific tool mostly fades the edge between two colours. In PSP or Photoshop the smudge tool really pulls the colours when you use it (or at least that's been my experience), so you have to work a bit harder to get a smoother transition.
    I think at least Photoshop gives the option to use a brush kind of like a smudge tool. Perhaps it's what Yandor mentioned. My experience with the program is quite limited, so I wouldn't know for sure, sorry :/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I was just messing around trying to get my mountain skills down and used your tutorial to create some... I was just pleased I actually completed something (well.. the mountain part anyway) ... if you knew me better, you would know this was quite a feat in and of itself. Anyway... thought I'd show ya'll my mountains

It isn't anywhere near the level Sirith is at, but I was happy with it for a first time... thanx Sirith

Del
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	2678  

Map

i enjoyed your tutorial very much. you have provided some very useful tips. thought i'd show a zoomed out version of a top-down map i've been working on. just to clarify, this map was also done in painter using a tablet and pen. as you can see, it's still very much in progress. to give you an idea of scale, this is a major portion of a continent. the small color swatches you see up in the corner are on a separate layer... that's my color palate. i mixed the colors there till i got them pretty much where i wanted them, and then i keep them there so that i can eyedropper them and have a consistent color scheme for this continent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyrranous-Map-Temp.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	916.6 KB 
ID:	3108  
    arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no desho ka?

Pen and Paper Games... never game alone again!

KadoKado games, win Amazon gift cards by gaming!

Hey there, sorry for my absence from this place for quite a while, mapmaking isn't the only creative activity I do

delgondahntelius >
    Nice try! I don't have much to say, other than practise makes perfect

nijineko >
    Also very nice! I like the top down view, and it looks like you're packing in quite a bit of detail in there.

Glad I was able to provide some tips, even though I haven't actually finished the walkthrough yet

Guild Member

Dude. You haven't finished this tutorial, and it's already an award winner?! For heaven's sake, man, stop having a life and get back on this forum already!

Wow, this is very nice. Very helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12