Thread: The Martyr Amobilant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow, I love the whole golden look of it and the small illustrations. The deep blue is of the ocean is a beautiful colour as well. Great stuff

The 2 cent rundown of Saint Amobilant is this, following the pics:

1. from his conversion the Saint preached to the overwhelmingly polytheistic populace of Jirlia, mainly of God's "fortolden" city to come

2. He was imprisoned, his crosses blasphemed & shattered, and he was immured for three decades. Upon his release, the now old man was given orders never to preach again "upon pain of death"

3. But he did preach, reading from the holy Scriptures (of this fantasy world---not the same as our world's Bible) that "of the unjust neither man nor elfenkind shall inherit the kingdom"

4. The magistrates of Jirlia--elves, primarily, but also pagan priests--told King Jhrl of the Saint's defiance

5. and Amobilant was hanged, then burned in a great fire: "neck broke, body eaten by flame, lifespark flown."; then his remains were scattered irreverently in the desert Wastelands.

6. Miraculaously, three days after the event, a shining, mystical barge appeared at the shores of Keelnorthimbria, bearing no crew, but containing a golden chest within which are the Martyr's remains, perfectly preserved, intact. These are holy relics now, capable of great power, and a firm testament to the Scripture: "naught shall fall--the very leastling shall sail home again."

That's the basics of the story. As I drew/colored the pics I thought of more significances and details, but no matter.

I hope that increases your enjoyment of the map! Take care!
    Last edited by pyrandon; 02-08-2008 at 10:17 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Praise Wow!

Wow, Pyrandon - I really love this map!

Only thing that sort of throws me is that circle around the center town of Jirlia. Now I realize it is the center of the cities theologically as well as geologically. The castle at the center is much larger this already emphasizes its importance. Perhaps a "halo" of color denoting greater importance, but I think the circle is too much.

Otherwise great stuff. The people at the bottom have that authentic Anglo-Saxon and Norman influence, a circa 1000 AD feel.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you for your comments, everyone! This map was great fun to create, and it makes me happy to know you enjoy it.

Thanks also for the comment, GP, regarding the circle. On that advice I went back and removed the color, then both the color and the halo, and in both versions I think the center of the resulting map is too empty--the eye is not anchored to anything. I did, however, reduce the opacity of the color & that was an improvement, so thank you for the suggestion; I appreciate it.

Take care!
    Don
    My gallery is here

This is a beautiful map.

Thanks, elf! It was a labor of love.

Welcome to the Guild, by the way. Do make sure to introduce yourself over in that part of the forum, too. Take care.
    Don
    My gallery is here