Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry - Luyten 7002 Survey Report

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I get your reference in my post. The planet in that post and these planets are not copy-paste images. My planet was generated in GIMP by me and I'm assuming (with a high probability of being correct) that GW created his planets from scratch as well. And Great work GW holy data.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think he used stargen as stated in "programs used" and tweaked the result. But I don´t understand the critique. It´s not (only) about the pieces, it´s the puzzle. And this one is coming along absolutley great. Composing and idea are very good.
    Last edited by Troedel; 05-26-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: clarification

@ Ares69 - Yes, those are very simple copies of what's already in our system and serving as place holders for the time being. If I have enough time, I'll generate more individualized planets for each spot.

@ jtougas & Troedel - Yep, Stargen (Winstargen) is a major source for this map. Most of the planetary data for the main planet (all the others as well) was generated based on the mass of Luyten 7002 according to ISDB (Internet Stellar Database). I've added some bits and pieces here and there, threw the land/sea percentages, temperature base and rainfall amounts (based on cloud cover percentages) through FTPro to generate the Globe view and the Hammer view in use, then slapped in a climate overlay. I've cut a tiny chunk out of the world for a detailed view to be processed in Wilbur then rendered in Terragen. That's my main goal for tomorrow (and possibly the weekend), although I'm seeing a few more things I need to tweak in what's already done.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 05-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Troedel View Post
    I think he used stargen as stated in "programs used" and tweaked the result. But I don´t understand the critique. It´s not (only) about the pieces, it´s the puzzle. And this one is coming along absolutley great. Composing and idea are very good.
    I agree (I think my praise got lost in my explanation to Ares69 this is really very good.)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

That is amazing! It never occurred to me to even Try to simulate Real information like that!

Wip

Not as much of an update as I had hoped for. After an exceptionally long day and night, I ended up wasting better than half of today catching up on my sleep. That being said, I reformatted the "System Display" window. The first time round, my math must have changed at some point. As for the planets, I don't think I'll be changing them. I played with that a little bit and just wasn't happy with the look. To that end, one could assume that they are standard icons used to avoid cluttering up memory with dozens upon dozens upon dozens of individual planets. I also dropped a couple of the sub-jovian planets, replacing one with an asteroid belt and the other with a gas giant. I also pulled the "Rotational Controls" bar from the global view under the assumption that it would be rotating constantly anyhow. Dropped in a very basic test render in the LAPS window just to see what the final lay-out looked like. There's still a lot of work to do in Terragen before that part is finished.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luyten 7002 WIP 11.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	36115  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Are the areas shown as 'in progress' there for flavour or are you going to fill them in later?

Wip

@ Ares69 - The HARS and LAPS Operations are an ongoing process, and this map captures the progress of those operations "in the moment," so those areas that are "in Progress" will remain so.

Update - So just a few more bells and whistles and the first shot at the LAPS portion of the map. I'm not sure I got what I wanted out of it. Trying to depict the remains of previous inhabitants of the world. As to what happened to them, the crew of the Elysian will have to dig a little deeper. I'm thinking, however, that the previous inhabitants weren't overly advanced in terms of technology which, in turn, begs to question how an artificial satellite got into orbit around the world. Ah, but the mystery deepens.

In any event, I might take another stab at the LAPS portion of the map and see if I can pack in more buildings. If I do that, I'll probably try to reconstruct the rest of the textures as well, just to give a more overgrown look.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luyten 7002 WIP 13.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	36181  
    GW

Looking stunning, GW...I love those ...in progress bars!!! Please keep a few for the final product! It adds a sense of the map being created in front of your eyes (as a computer would). I've never seen that in any of the maps on the guild and it's a great device.

The HARS and LAPS Operations are an ongoing process, and this map captures the progress of those operations "in the moment," so those areas that are "in Progress" will remain so.
    Ah you were there before me!

Great looking map Greason Wolf, I am quite impressed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast