Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Challenge Entry: UNC 201.F

This is well done, but I still have two pointers:

1) The technological information is not very good. This planet is only slightly larger than Mars, and yet it has almost Earth's surface area and gravity.
    2) HOW DARE YOU BRING JPEGS INTO THIS LAND!?

Have to agree with Ascension about the text in some areas. All in all, though, it looks good, and I wouldn't worry too much about the "techspeak." No matter how accurate you might be, someone's always gonna come along and point out the errors. It's just the nature of the game.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Carol Mayer couldn't stop staring at the view-screen. Amazingly enough no one at the IWSO had turned it off or even contacted her. "Probably too busy running around trying to figure out what to do next" she said to herself. The city below was experiencing sunrise and the road network was getting busy. Mayer still couldn't adjust any of the scan parameters due to the lockout and she was aching for a closer look. Intelligent life had proved to be not so rare as the scientists predicted but in over 50 years of FTL space exploration, this was the first contact with a species at least as advanced as humanity. The entire crew had found an excuse to be on the bridge at some point during the night so many that Mayer had to order them back to work. She could understand their fascination. She returned to her chair to reach for her cup of coffee just in time to hear the proximity alert beep. The alert was mainly in place for docking to alert the navigator of another ship in their vicinity. Mayer knew there were no other ships any where near the Nebraska. She was proved wrong as a small vessel sped by the view-screen. She ran to the survey station. "Track whatever that was!" She shouted at her survey officer. The SO shook her head "I can't the damn lockout...." Mayer cursed loudly and went back to the view-screen. For a moment she had a terrible vision of Parker Northrup and the USMG bombers......

Thanks for the comments everyone. Ascension you're right as usual. I've been working at a pretty high zoom level on this and was trying to force the text into a small box.Of course making it virtually unreadable in the process. I fixed it so that it looks better and is readable. Ares96 I figured I'd get called out on the planetary data. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to that stuff and I was just looking for some numbers that sounded good. I did go back and make the planet "bigger" to maybe make some of those numbers make sense. I don't understand the jpeg reference though? I added some "science station" stuff to make it more monitor like.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNC 201.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	36074
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    I don't understand the jpeg reference though?
    Isn't that a JPG?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ares96 View Post
    Isn't that a JPG?
    The image is saved in jpeg format yes.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

There had been no further sighting of the ship that had buzzed past the Nebraska. Carol Mayer had spent the rest of the afternoon alternately staring at the view-screen and arguing with the IWSO. They refused to lift the lockouts and even denied the existence of the small vessel that almost everyone on the bridge of the Nebraska had seen. Mayer actually understood why. If they acknowledged it's existence then they were acknowledging the fact that an advanced species DID live on this planet. That would be a serious problem when it came time to decide whether or not to mine this world. Mayer didn't delude herself she knew that Northrup and Interworld Energy would get the minerals off of this planet one way or another. The USMG was basically a puppet to Interworld due to the nations overwhelming energy addiction. As Mayer contemplated this development one thought came to her again and again. What if they fought back?....

One more update. I realized that I had spelled "presence" wrong (I spell SO badly) and I added a few more "buttons" and a reticule.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNC 201.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	36080
    Last edited by jtougas; 05-26-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Finished Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow. Just... wow. I want to vote for all four entries so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    The image is saved in jpeg format yes.
    Try not to, the compression causes the edges to blur in a very bad-looking way. It kind of spoils this whole entry (which is great otherwise).

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

or you could save in jpg uncompressed (or with a higher setting) ... its mostly contrast edges and stuff like text that suffer from low compression
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Pretty amazing detail and great back-story too! The details are what I'm not good at. Now I have to go and tweak my own map! ;-)

As to jpgs; what tilt said. I use 'em and just make sure the res. is high and the image large.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast