Thread: The 'Cartographer' Title

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well on my websites and in my signatures on various forums I visit, I call myself a "pro fantasy cartographer". When people ask me what I do for a living, I say, I'm a graphic designer and a pro fantasy cartographer.

Now whether I can officially wear that title, based on the cartography industry, I don't really know - nor am I too bothered lacking the credentials to say I'm a cartographer.

I certainly don't do GIS work, nor would I want to - all those real GPS coordinates, way too mathmatically for my tastes, I'm more of an artist. While I want an authentic look to my work, I certainly don't need it to be exacting down to the square inch.

So while I probably don't qualify for the title 'cartographer', I do wear the title when asked and don't feel wrong in saying so.

GP

PS: also, though my 'title' under my forum name states "publisher", I am also a member of the Industry Pros Group. Back before I was assigned 'publisher', I wore the grey of the industry pro. Publisher supercedes industry pro in the site's titling, so that's what I am named here...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-26-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations