Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cartographia

Btw, will you name countries after all users, or at least all "active" users? Or will some be the namegiver to rivers/mountains/forests etc instead?
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

As a permanent active lurker, and an occasional map poster, I think i speak for all lurkers in saying that there should a "Lurker Slums" in the capital lol....

...and I am their lord lol

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@jfrazierjr : I agree - but drawing all those mountains made me just work to reach the other side of the continent ... I will change one here and there, and I am also going to break up the very straight line that most of them follow also an effect of getting to the edge fast *lol*
    @aenigma : thank - and I think it will be a mix of countries, mountains and rivers etc.
    @SkinnyKazoo : hehe
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The guys on the ZBB did something like this a long time ago, I love the idea. Could you please name something after me, too? On the ZBB map it was the Bartmoss Tarpits. Maybe the Bart Moss Wetlands this time? ;-)

Ohh and YES The River Police needs a fortress, a titanic structure with attached waterworks and experimental river flow garden, kind of a River Police forensics lab.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Ohh and YES The River Police needs a fortress, a titanic structure with attached waterworks and experimental river flow garden, kind of a River Police forensics lab.
    And the Geodesy Police need a small shack in the middle of nowhere, so we won't bother anyone with ramblings about projections and distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    @jfrazierjr : I agree - but drawing all those mountains made me just work to reach the other side of the continent ... I will change one here and there, and I am also going to break up the very straight line that most of them follow also an effect of getting to the edge fast *lol*

I know EXACTLY what you mean.. My current contest entry, it took me 3-4 hours to ink, color, and high/low light a fairly small mountain range and a few hills, though I have to say that I LOVE how it has turned out for that few hour effort...

I can REALLY see the value of people wanted to use pre-made brushes, but hand drawn just looks sooooooo much better to me(plus it gives me a chance to improve on lacking skills). I guess I need to come up with some type of hybrid brush/handdrawn tweak approach<sigh>.... it's always a lack of time...

Anyway, keep going on this... I really like what you have going on and want to see more....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There could be a place called 'N00bs Landing' (From Kings Landing in A Game Of Thrones) where all newcomers arrive xD
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I can REALLY see the value of people wanted to use pre-made brushes, but hand drawn just looks sooooooo much better to me(plus it gives me a chance to improve on lacking skills). I guess I need to come up with some type of hybrid brush/handdrawn tweak approach<sigh>.... it's always a lack of time...
    I have stayed away from pre-made brushes unless I made them myself because I want to continue to develop as an artist. Starting out I really struggled with matching up my scanned sketch with portions I created within Gimp. I think I am doing much better after a year and a half but what I find is that I pretty much always go back over whatever I create within Gimp, touching it up by hand. That seems to bridge the gap. More time? Sure. Worth it? I think so.

Nothing against using other folks brushes and I have seen some wonderful maps made with them. It does blow just a little bit to loose a challenge to someone using pre-made brushes though but sometimes they just look so good.

And this is looking great Tilt.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I have stayed away from pre-made brushes unless I made them myself because I want to continue to develop as an artist. Starting out I really struggled with matching up my scanned sketch with portions I created within Gimp. I think I am doing much better after a year and a half but what I find is that I pretty much always go back over whatever I create within Gimp, touching it up by hand. That seems to bridge the gap. More time? Sure. Worth it? I think so.
    Yea... that's kind of what I meant... I would create my own set of brushes(mainly mountains) for a quick "drop" and then go back over the resulting mountains and spend an hour or two blending. That's one of the BIG things I think GIMP has over PS is it's ability to save brushes in Color(at least concerning functionality alone). For me, that one feature(not to mention the hundreds of dollars I don't have to spend on PS) makes GIMP perfect for me...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@bartmoss : of course you'll be in there
    @Hai-etik : rofl
    @jf and jax : yep.. there are some pretty beautiful brushsets out there - but I would never feel it was my map then. The same goes for my battle maps - I make it all from the bottom - so much more satisfying.
    @aenigma : heheh.. I like that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast