Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not named yet (Hand-drawn, Photoshop); Work in Progress

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like what I'm seeing so far, hope you find a river method that works for you.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good work so far. Try to place less symbols and play with the sizes of them.

I agree with Katto, the overall layout, color-scheme and font selection work well together, but the symbol placement makes the map seem a bit crowded. Otherwise really good job though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks to all for the useful advices.
    I'm going to reduce the amount of symbols

Next update tomorrow

And again, thanks.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'll be the odd man out and say I don't think there's too many symbols. I think what's tripping you up is that you placed them all before you settled on a river style (which looks GREAT, by the way), and now you have to try and wrap the rivers around the symbols.

Yeah, I dont have a problem with the symbols either - Diamond's spot on about the river needing to come first. Have you considered doing something similar with the river path as with all the other geographical features, stylizing it as a symbol rather than representing it as a river? As it is there seems to be a balance yet to be struck between the parchment hand drawn feel and the river that might be reached that way.
    Who is John Galt?

Oh no. Seriously,

I can't go through the rivers:

project closed.

I like the font, as for the stroke if you make it smaller, it will look worse I think. You can try lowering the opacity of the stroke. And why don't you just draw you rivers after you put the symbols? Like put trees, hills and mountains and then make the rivers and their branches just to flow in the spaces inbetween. Then they will also look naturally flowing making nice turns. When I was making rivers my first branches were 2px, the bigger were 3px, the Nile like (in my map scale) were 4px and so on.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I like the look of the latest rivers themselves, but I agree that the way they overlap the other terrain features doesn't work. You might have to move around some trees.

I am getting the impression that the western landmass is named Geas and the Eastern is named Kia? Is "Geas Kia" otherwise the name of the setting? If not, I would separate the two names a bit more. Maybe even place the terms within the landmasses they denote.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12