Thread: Spelljammer Map of the Flow (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Oh I am fine if you put it in as a small sphere, after all the map you have is not proportional either, right? I'd just like to be "on the map", really.
    Well, the spheres should be to scale (1mm = 1 billion miles - if you print it out at A0 size!) Distances in the flow are 'kind-of' proportional, according to The Broken Sphere the thickness of the river (as shown on a map) is proportional to its 'speed' (although this begs a question or two).

Which raises a general question - should I split bi-directional rivers into two? (it might make some places a bit cluttered though).

And I have heard of the Piazza, mainly because Big Mac was asking spelljammer stuff here a long time ago, but I doubt I should start to follow yet another forum.
    Ok, can I post a link to you site on The Piazza? I'm sure some of them might find it interesting.

Guild Apprentice

And another update to the SVG version - I re-arranged a few things, moved some more spheres in, and, where a flow river has a travel duration, the thickness of the line represents its 'speed'.
    Last edited by Nerik; 06-11-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added detail

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nerik View Post
    Well, the spheres should be to scale (1mm = 1 billion miles - if you print it out at A0 size!) Distances in the flow are 'kind-of' proportional, according to The Broken Sphere the thickness of the river (as shown on a map) is proportional to its 'speed' (although this begs a question or two).
    Ah, I see. - Well, I can easily work in an "alternate cosmology" which makes the Arth "sphere" better to handle.

Which raises a general question - should I split bi-directional rivers into two? (it might make some places a bit cluttered though).
    This iwll probably clutter the map up a lot.

Ok, can I post a link to you site on The Piazza? I'm sure some of them might find it interesting.
    Oh but of course! I post my stuff on the 'net so others may enjoy it (hopefully).

Guild Apprentice

Ah, I see. - Well, I can easily work in an "alternate cosmology" which makes the Arth "sphere" better to handle.
    Well, I've put it on the current version of the map at a size that assumes the 'shell' is just outside the oort cloud - if you shrunk the oort cloud you could reduce the radius by up to a half. (If the oort cloud was the same size as in the real would, the sphere would be over 10 metres wide!).
    This (doubled flow rivers) iwll probably clutter the map up a lot.
    I think you're right, I'll leave it.
    Oh but of course! I post my stuff on the 'net so others may enjoy it (hopefully).
    Ok, done.

Guild Apprentice

Updated again, see first post for details.

Guild Novice Sings-With-Spirits's Avatar

Awesome work. You have no idea how long I've been looking for a map like this.