Thread: Talon City-States

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Care to elaborate on the world itself?
    And what kind of system will you use? (enthusiastic roleplayer here! )
    I'm a 4e D&Der these days, if I'm going to GM anything. I have a world that I normally create adventures in, but this doesn't fit in to that at all, which is partly why I chose it as a testing ground for mapping.

The idea for this is that these are drow cities. The drow in this world are surface dwellers, just like the other major races. Their appearance is less carved-from-emo-obsidian (still dark, but more dusky than outright black... exceptions exist), and their culture is less evil-for-the-sake-of-it, but otherwise they're pretty much still drow. So you've got rival houses vying for power, the priesthood sort of uniting them but at the same time also trying to dominate them, and so on.

I tried to give each major city (8 of them, because they're drow...) a unique "theme" or aspect to make them distinctive. Vecchia is partly built into a cave system, and Galleggianti is flooded. Focena's buildings are partly built from coral, while Luccio uses much more metal, especially gold, in their construction. La Scarpa sits in the shadow of a volcano. Tara di Streghe is controlled by a cabal of sorcerers, whose rituals are slowly corrupting the soil around the city. Canto is a tree city, more reminiscent of the cities of elves than of drow. And Ambrata... I haven't worked out a niche for. Maybe it's the "normal" city?

Beyond that, I hadn't thought about the wider world at all yet. Perhaps it's an all-elf world? In the feywild? No plans to run it any time soon, so I have time to think about it.
    Last edited by 290blue; 06-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.