Thread: Spice Up My Watchtower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No problem. The easiest way to do this is to drop a grid down. Then line it up dead center over your turret or as close as possible.

Create a scrap sketching layer to draw on.
    1)make a black horizontal line dead center from the outer edge to the opposite outer edge. I used 2 pixels wide for everything but you can do it however you want.
    2)make another line vertical dead center. You now have a perfectly quartered pie like tower.
    3) select the '+' you have created by selecting the ink lines you just made and copy/paste.
    4) before you anchor the pasted image use the rotation tool to spin the '+' by 45 degrees. "Anchor" the rotated image down.
    5) repeat using whatever degrees split the difference and however many notches you desire.

You then need to make the outer and inner circle. I just lined it up using the circle tool but you can use the select tool as well if you can select the right area. Then just stroke the circle with a 2 pixel wide black line. (you have the outer edge of the turret now)
    Then just edit>shrink> by however wide you want the outer wall to be. I think I used 20 pixels. This will be the inner circle. Once again stroke it with the 2 pixel line.

I actually selected all the blocks and loaded them with a stone image that I then did some distortions on to look more like stones around the entire ring. Then I went back and selected every other one and brightened the ones I wanted to look higher and darkened the others so they would look lower.

Basically, you want to create the curved blocks around the walls of your tower so you can then select and use to modify things until it looks right.

I know I'm just having a drink here smelling dinner which is driving me crazy so this may not be a very good explanation but I hope it puts you on the right track. If not, I'll put some more time into making a mini tutorial unless anyone knows of one we already have?

I have attached the layer of spokes that I created to make this, as you can see it's just rough and all that matters is getting the "boxes" around the edge.

edit: One more thing to keep in mind. Someone will probably come by here and share an easier way to do this which would be great but unless I know an easy way already I'm not afraid to just put in the finger power
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTSpokes.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	36640  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-20-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt