Quote Originally Posted by AlexTna View Post
Well the problem is i have only 3-4 days experience in GIMP and without a tutorial i am lost, so i don't know a great deal about layer management. But I am making new test maps so i get used to the program, I will go back to the map once I am more accustomed to GIMP.
Even if it's not they style you are going for, I would highly suggest checking out several of the tutorials, specifically RobA's Regional Map tutorial as it uses a large number of layers which must be in the right order to make things look correct.
Quote Originally Posted by AlexTna View Post
About the mountains, darklingrisen's tutorial is about that style of map-making, not realistic (to scale etc). But what do you mean by the blockiness of the mountains? Are they too big, because I have thought about reducing the brush size when making mountains, but really have not decided yet. Looking back they do seem a bit too big and maybe too many, they take up a good deal of the map! Anyway thank you for the answers!
Sorry about that... what I meant is that the bottoms of most of the mountains have an flat line of color demarcating the mountain from the underlying land color. Don't be afraid to have some of the color "randomly" come down lower than then end of your line work for each mountain. Of course, this means you have to take care as you are building your brush files so you have that room at the bottom to play with.