Thread: The Realm of Quindia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks, folks!

The map was created in CorelDraw and the textures added in CorelPaint. The best thing about this map is that it is a vector file and 100% editable and scalable. When boundaries change during the course of the campaign (as you'll see if you follow Bax's links) I can change things at will.

The style of the line art is based off the original Tolkien maps, but the colors are inspired by the more modern map designed for the movie. I actually have a version on a plain white background with bright red text that mimics the old school map.

Although created completely in the computer, I tried to achieve a hand drawn look. The mountains are vector images, but each one is rendered individually, as are the hills, trees, etc. They are all drawn with a Wacom tablet using a stylus.

Each feature - mountains, hills, forests, text, etc. - is on a separate layer so I can edit each one without having to work around the others. As an unforseen bonus due to the way the map was constructed, I now have a virtual library of custom "clipart" I can use to duplicate this look in a fraction of the time it took to create it in the first place. There is another continent that I have run games in and it will be rendered in the same style.

I do indeed plan to update the website for 4e. It has been years since I touched it, but I am actually planning to completely redesign it which of course means more maps.

I'll head over to the intro section to add a little more. Thanks for the welcome and if I can answer any specific questions about the map, I'll be happy to.
    Last edited by quindia; 02-25-2008 at 07:36 AM.
    Clarence Harrison
    Quindia Studios