Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fable Map Imitation.

Bah! Disolve.. Inner glow.. Why didn't I think of that? But, anyway thank you Diamond!

Blog Entries

And it's time for yet another geodesy complaint: Mixing an equidistant projection (Graticule lines are evenly spaced) with a compass rose and straight rumb lines (Those radiating lines) is wrong. It's wrong in the original map, and it's wrong in your map. Neither particularly matches with your highly stylized rivers as either a graticule or rhumb lines indicate the map is meant to be to scale. If your rivers are meant to be to scale, then they are rather misproportioned as they are way to wide for their width, and their deltas are likewise far to large (and again, the same is true of the game maps you are mimicking)

Otherwise it's a good start.

Yes.. I know with the rivers once I looked at them in full view I was.. Shocked at how large they were. Larger then the Map i'm mimicking for sure.
    As for the Lines.. I think they look rather nice if wrong. I knew mixing them wasn't cartgoraphically right. (Not even sure if thats a word.)
    I've decided for two different versions of this map.. Purely imitation and one that I will build on and probably enhance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    As for the Lines.. I think they look rather nice if wrong. I knew mixing them wasn't cartgoraphically right.
    You might consider using more rhumb lines rather than the graticule. You can get quite a complex web of them going: http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=29592, or use a graticule for a Normal Mercator projection.

Gah.. I would but it looks so hard to do that.. But, anyway! Time for a small update!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    Gah.. I would but it looks so hard to do that..
    It's not that hard. Even doing it by hand would be nothing more than a bunch of copying and rotating in a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Illustrator. I made it by writing a little program of my own in Ruby though.

I've attached a copy of the lines if you want to try it, though it might be a bit overkill for this map.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Just keep experimenting until you come up with something you like, that's how I do it. Of course, if you haven't kept track of how you got there, you may not be able to duplicate it.

Yeah, let me work on the mini-tut tonight and I'll post it as quick as I can.
    One of the things I have done before(in GIMP) is to use a large grunge brush set to jitter. Unfortunately, the best example(well.. the one "I" liked best!!!) I had was on a computer that died and the image was never posted anywhere. Here is an old throwaway map I made while testing out some mountain styles in the early days that used a similar approach on the sea layer around the shoreline. In essence, I did something like this:

Configure brush: brush size, jitter, the actual brush itself using the spray brush tool... You might also want to play with brush dynamics Random: Hardness,Opacity
    Select landmass(optionally, grow the selection to "move" it out into the sea area more.... might need to rethink your brush size though)
    Stroke Selection using the spray brush tool. Emulate brush dynamics.
    hit delete (to get rid of stuff on the "inner" side of your selection.

Now.. since you are wanting the land instead of the sea, just reverse what you are selecting.

Play with it and go nuts.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What I did was make a blob brush.. Just a generic blob and define that as a brush preset and select my landmass and make that a work path and set the blob size to 40 and shapedynamics and scattering around 900 depending on size. I then stroke it twice. And another time with a smaller size and around 400 scatter. Worked out fairly well I think.

I'll finish working on this some time tomorrow. I have alot of things to do today.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This looks really good.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks Jtougas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast