Thread: Monks writing room - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What a fun project. I really enjoy drawing floor plans.

The best way to see what people that do drafting for a living use would be to do a search for the 3 words: drafting furniture blocks. This will bring up some that are free downloadable blocks in CAD format, which you may not be able to use, depending on what file formats you have access to. But, there are some images of the top view on some of the pages I just looked at, which would help you get an idea of what other people use.

That said, there is no rule that I know of that furniture has to look an exact certain way, but of course you want it recognizable as a sofa, chair, etc.

I also tried using the word template to search, and it brings up some useful information, but the majority was for the plastic templates you could buy to draw outlines of furniture on paper. Which I don't believe would be any help to you.

When I make floor plans, and I already have the piece of furniture, I try & make it the real world size, and what the piece of furniture would really look like if looked down upon.

When it comes to showing that a drawer exists in a desk, or the way a door swings, there are basic "rules" that are followed. Not sure that you would be going into that much detail though.

Most importantly, **Check the creator's/owner's permissions for anything you download or copy to make sure that your type of use is permitted.**

Good luck to you. It looks great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    The best way to see what people that do drafting for a living use would be to do a search for the 3 words: drafting furniture blocks. This will bring up some that are free downloadable blocks in CAD format, which you may not be able to use, depending on what file formats you have access to. But, there are some images of the top view on some of the pages I just looked at, which would help you get an idea of what other people use.
    I have no problem using CAD drawings, my job is basically the development similar applications. The problem with those drawings are that they do not really conform to the aged look I'm trying to get. I want it to look like its an old map basically and the super straight lines does not really help me unfortunately

When it comes to showing that a drawer exists in a desk, or the way a door swings, there are basic "rules" that are followed. Not sure that you would be going into that much detail though.
    Pleas do, give me a couple of pointers, I'm not against using common techniques as long as I can make them look old

Good luck to you. It looks great so far.
    Thank you and thank you for the massive post, brilliant