Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Eriond: A World Map

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's probably some of the best use of fonts I've seen on a map. They just 'fit'. Like Big A said, depending on how much stuff you plan to put on there, it may get a tad crowded, but right now it looks perfect.

@Ascension - Yes my friend mentioned that her degree was the new kid on the block within the fields of Psychology and Psychiatry. She works with inmates within the penitentiary system and she too takes a cognitive-behavioral approach, urging inmates towards personal responsibility. As to the labels, I'm thinking for this version of the map that I'm going to go light on some on the political and geographical labels. I'll probably just end up putting in the names of countries and their capitals and major geographical features. I'm planning on doing another political version of this world map (in a more "Old Map" style) that will contain allot more of this information.

@Needamedic - Thanks man. I'm just starting the process of putting together a tutorial, but it will likely be a while in coming.

@Diamond - Wow, really? Well you know I played around with a whole lot of different fonts and I just keep coming back to Optimus Princeps. As to color and style, I tried for something a bit more subdued so as not to distract attention away from the surrounding landscape. I was actually wondering if it was a bit too subdued, but I'm glad to here that you like it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

I love what you've done here, Arsheesh. This is really fantastic--almost enough that I'd like to just use this for a campaign *heh*.

As for a tutorial, I'm all in favor. In fact, would it be less whelming to break it into multiple tutorials? A short one for getting the labels to blend so well, maybe a smaller one on getting the color banding just right under Gimp. (I've tried the PS tutorial that features that kind of banding--Saderan?--but I couldn't get it to come out right under Gimp at all.) Maybe multiple parts for working with Wilbur?

Thanks Treg. This is the world map for my own homebrew campaign setting but I don't mind if you want to use it for your own non-commercial campaign setting as well. Course if you are interested, I've also laid out allot of the detail of the western continent in my OP site (a link to which appears in my sig). I know of at least one other person whose using it as the basis for their own campaign, and you're more than welcome to do the same if you like (or not, whatever).

As to the tutorial, it will cover techniques for: creating and sculpting a height map; generating terrain in Wilbur; Bump-mapping; how to make use of GIMP’s “gradient map” feature to color the map based on altitude, and create diversified biomes; and an appendix showing how to turn the map into a globe. There are other tutorials out there that describe how to do labeling, so in the interest of time I'll probably skip this step. But you may have to be patient on this one, I'm not going to begin writing it in earnest till I finish this map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The last thing you may want to think about is the name Eriond. It's the name of the new god in the Belgariad series after Garion kills the evil god Torak.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Hm, not familiar with the Belgariad series. I've actually been using "Eriond" as the name of my world for about five years now, so I'm hesitant to change it now just because someone else is using it as the name of one of the gods in their world. However, in the unlikely event that I ever decide to try and publish any of the stuff from my campaign world, I may reconsider at that point.

Small update, created a border for the map. I'm thinking this is probably the last update I'll do before finishing the map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eriond WIP 10.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	38188  

As I already spoke each following map better the previous

The finished version of this map can be found here. Thanks to everyone (especially Ascension and Diamond) for your helpful feedback.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Hello!

I just noted that you used different fonts for the world map and the one of the realms around the Logathrian Sea. Any reason for this?

On a sidenote, you said that you made it for your Pathfinder setting. How detailed is the latter with regard to worked out realms, races, bestiary et al?

Edit: Just noted the link to the Age of Legends at Obsidian Portal.
    Last edited by Zanan; 10-18-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Hey there Zanan, thanks for your interest. The first map that you site was my very first attempt at mapping and my style of mapping has sort of evolved since then, and part of this evolution includes a new choice of fonts. As to the Pathfinder campaign setting I'm working on, it is still very much a work in progress. I've heavily detailed the northern regions of Western Continent, but haven't done anything with the southern regions, or for that matter, the Eastern continent (which is a new addition). In time I hope to flesh these out in more detail.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast