Thread: Shadowspring Region

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip Shadowspring Region

Hello!

Seeing as I am completely unable to create maps that represent a scale I'm happy with (world-sized), I experimented with smaller scales and came up with these two maps.

They were both made in a couple of hours, the desert one after the coastal one. That is why, at least I like to think so, the second one looks a lot better than the first one, which, the more I look at it, seems to suck more and more (is that normal? When composing music I like what I've done the first few times but then find it ugly and feel really stupid to be so simple. Yet it seemed good at first. Do we get bored of our own work?).

It's the first time I attempted cities and I think they are moderately successful. On the second map, the big city HAS a road network but it seems to be nearly invisible. Maybe I should work on this a bit more.

On the second map, maybe the rivers should be longer, as for their size they couldn't possibly accumulate enough water to be as large as they are, right? (river police?) I tried to make them fit with the hills around. (which, at first, were mountains but I suck so much at creating heightmaps that they are now hills, no question)

So, I need some advice from all of you out there!
    How to get realistic cities, realistic rivers for such size and varied topography.
    My castles feel... empty, flat. Would other fortifications, like trenches, be visible at that scale?
    Now, things I'm proud of, (I think) are farm fields and forests. I kind of like them. Any suggestions on this?

Thank you for your help!

Naming places is great fun also :p

EDIT: I just reversed all bevel lighting direction because I am a stupid person. The lighting for the bevel was reversed from the lighting effect of the relief. Well at least that explains the "canyon" feel to all of my hills... Will post updated maps tomorow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kammeni2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	37517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShadowSpring2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	37520  
    Last edited by oli_chose123; 08-04-2011 at 12:56 AM.