Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] - Bordovilla

Guild Apprentice

Thanks Moe and RevGunn!

@Moe: Yep, that whole area will be adjusted and completed. I'm documenting on castles and keeps floorplans right now, and waiting to have the basic plan schetched out so the keep can reflect the "real" plan I'll be using. My background story needs at least three subsequent "layers" there. Once built a long long time ago (watchtower); one around a century old (keep) and then the recent rebuild (bigger keep, walls and secondary buildings)... sometimes I think I'm a bit too ambitious lol!

Oh, there are still some things to be adressed, like the bridges. Are the ruined houses on the southern fields convincing enough?

Quote Originally Posted by RevGunn View Post
    Almost looks like a satellite photo. Awesome work. Re-coloring the water helped a lot.
    Is it just me, or is part of it actually taken from google earth?

I may be crazy, but I swear that in one field it says the year and Google, which comes up from google earth if you zoom far enough in. I attached the cropped picture with the part I see it in circled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	38201

Besides that though, it is a great map! I love it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ya know, I do see something there. Can't read all of it but I do see something. But, it's not a cardinal sin to matte-paint things that ya can't get done by your own self...lots of folks have done it. I thought about doing it but never got around to it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Well... you're absolutely right. I've found a field texture somewhere (googling for it), and it was clearly a fixed satellite view (houses and high tension towers, etc removed). I took the actual fields and rearranged to be used here. Didn't noticed the Google watermark, but this confirms something I already know almost for sure when I used it on first instance. If this is a problem I'll remove the fields and will rework them in another way. Considering that I'm not planning any use of this exept for my Pathfinder Campaign, I hope that Ascension's position could be embraced by the entire community

BTW... another "problem" with the fields (one being the watermarked one) is that they have really evident traces of heavy mechanization... those trails and signs could not be accomplished with animals etc

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's ok, mate. Lots of people take satellite shots and put them together, a few have even turned out very awesome. No one cares too much about it, so you're cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by NatroN View Post
    Well... you're absolutely right. I've found a field texture somewhere (googling for it), and it was clearly a fixed satellite view (houses and high tension towers, etc removed). I took the actual fields and rearranged to be used here. Didn't noticed the Google watermark, but this confirms something I already know almost for sure when I used it on first instance. If this is a problem I'll remove the fields and will rework them in another way. Considering that I'm not planning any use of this exept for my Pathfinder Campaign, I hope that Ascension's position could be embraced by the entire community

BTW... another "problem" with the fields (one being the watermarked one) is that they have really evident traces of heavy mechanization... those trails and signs could not be accomplished with animals etc
    I think it is fine. It isn't really that obvious that it is watermarked, and I don't think anyone will be examining it enough to tell that it is heavily mechanized.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

In regards to using google map images they're actually pretty lenient, and have an automated process for setting up terms of use for specific purposes.

It's incredibly easy to end up at the "fair use" clause which starts showing up after the second question.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 09-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I've read the Google thing and, actually, my use is fair, although not intended at first! lol
    Thanks Coyotemax for the link.

The map is almost done, I think. I'm adding labels etc at the moment.

C&C are really welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bordovilla-almostdone.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	38446

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

This is NOT a map. It's aerial photography Absolutely stunning!

Wow! This is really really good!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast