Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Isles

Very cool... it still looks a bit cartoony, but I LIKE that.... The mountains look really good too, so I would love to see them stay. I still don't like the thickness of the land shape stroke though.... Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting this piece to be finished!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice work!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

So i'm stuck. I've reworked the arid/desert island like 30 times, and while I like some of the effects I've made, they don't fit with the rest of the map, so I scrap those layers and start over. Usually I put things off to the side and come back to them, but that's all i have left to work on.

Anyone have any suggestions for non-shaded linework that can really do a good job of representing arid/desert land that I could adapt for this?
    I've been going through hand drawn maps for inspiration, and pretty much everything relies on labels, colours, or texturework. there's a distinct lack of linework from what I've seen. Maybe I'm just missing something? On previous maps I used a light opacity brush, a long solid line with high scatter rate, but that doesn't look right at all for this. I'm trying to stick with the pen/ink idea.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe something in between a hill and a wave...to emulate sand dunes? *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the looks of this map. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

For desert, what about something like the style in the lower right of the attached pic (from http://makingmaps.net/2008/04/03/map...forms-terrain/, follow the link for some more good examples)?
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00_opener_invert.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	38705  

scatter around some dunes, yeah.

I tried that and they just didn't look right, I couldn't get them to look consistent.

but.... I just woke up and had a flash of inspiration.. I know why they weren't looking right - I need to make them with the same technique as I made the mountains.
    D'OH

Thanks

that link is bloody awesome btw. annoys me that I didn't find it on my own! hah!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks for puttin the link back up Mearrin, lost it in my crash so I'm very happy to have it back.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Progress! Going to change the desert background just a bit, but the swamps and some nifty unique areas are all that's left.

Name:	ss20.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	38845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss19.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	38844  

My finished maps

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Progress! Going to change the desert background just a bit, but the swamps and some nifty unique areas are all that's left.
    Umm.. where desert??? me no see....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

that's mostly because I had it at such a low opacity because my inner artist was saying "noooo don't do it that way" that it was trying to hide what i was doing ;P

MUCH better now. And swamps! and.. unsharp mask is now my newest best friend. i can draw with my favourite brushes, run the unsharp mask with the right settings, and it brings it inline with the rest of the map. I might run that across the tree trunks and forests now.

I think that's all the terrain for the moment - waiting on feedback from client now to see if I'm adding anything else or moving on to non-land/plant features.

Oh and I finally sorted the water - i got the subtlety I was after without having to redo the whole thing!! I just took the layer and duplicated it so i woulnd't mess up permanently.. though you could just as easily use a mask - selected the wavy lines, contracted by 1, reversed selection and hit delete (or with a mask, fill with black). that thinned out the lines for me, I gave it a 0.2px gussian blur to take the edge off, and voila.

Name:	ss21.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	38974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss22.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	38975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss23.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	38976  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 10-05-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: i should add attachments the first time ;P

My finished maps

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast