Thread: The Isles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, so i've scrapped the previous mountains - it was going to be more work to move the existing ones than simply redrawing with the new layout.

We'll have several islands devoted to specific terrain types, I'll be desertifying one, the 2 in the middle will be more mountainous with one being volcanic. I'm leaving plenty of open space on one for the wide rolling plains, and so on I've been spending a lot of time soaking up the information in the project bible to make sure I don't go off track.

i think what I'll do is use the basic outline layers like I have for the mountains here, and split off in 2 directions from here once i have forests and specific terrain added.. one version will be primarily linework and will be the functional version (rhumb lines etc, thinking sea chart and maybe even depth markers) with a simple border, and the other will be more painterly and artistic oriented - that one will get the super ornate border.

I've been alternating between the parchment background and straight white as the final version will be printed onto a textured/coloured surface.

I left the wavy water lines in there for now, i love the way this looks. I took screenshots as i went, I'll set up a tutorial thread somewhere when i get around to writing it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss08.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	37651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss07.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	37650  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."