Thread: Suggestions for future articles / features in the zine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    1. Did you find zine interesting to read?
    Many interesting articles. Personally I never read short stories in magazines. Don't know why.

2. Do you think the zine is helpful in providing inspiration to adventure creation?
    Absolutely - and I'd like more of articles that directly inspire/help adventure creation.

3. Are there any articles you would like to see in future issues? For example, we will be putting in a 'classifieds' page in future issues in which industry pros from all three guilds, and the illustrators who contribute to the making of the zine will be able to advertise. We are also considering a 'review' section where guild members will be able to post reviews of new games, books, software...anything of interest.
    Classifieds is a great idea. Review section is also a great idea.
    Maybe an encounter site with each issue - put together by the different sites/forums.

4. What do you think of the look and feel of the zine?
    The large amount of stuff in the zine is impressive. I know how much work it takes to write all that stuff, proof read and layout. The front page looks good and this is important IMO.

BUT - I do have some constructive critique. Maybe they are too harsh for a zine but I still wanted to comment as I have made countless magazines and broschures as a graphic designer/layout artist.

1. The front page looks nice but the layout could use a major rework (basic layout, typography etc). It's straightforward and clean but somewhat hard to read and also quite boring. I have lots of ideas/critique on this matter for anyone interested. (I do think, however, that the layout may be sufficient for a zine)
    2. Some of the articles are too long. Cut text and fill out with interesting illustrations (maps, drawings etc). I think most people read the magazine on screen so long articles with lots of text is hard to read. The cramped typography doesn't help.
    3. New logo would help greatly.
    4. Who are the readers? In all media it's important to know who your recipient (spelling?) is. This should govern the style and content of the articles. Is it for members of the Alliance or the average role-player/DM? I'd guess that it's meant for the members (us) but that's just a guess.
    5. This one is not a major issue but the order of the articles in the zine seems a little bit random (although they appear in a democratic mixed order from each field). I would not have started with two pages filled with text - no matter how good the short story or adventure is.

5. Any other thoughts?
    Nothing right now....
    Last edited by Carnifex; 03-06-2008 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Spell check