Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milky Way Galaxy, Revisited

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spaceships.

This looks very cool! I notice two "New California" systems on there. Was that intentional? I can certainly see how it might happen during an expansion push. Edit: if not intentional and you want them to be different you could make one "Nuevo California" and call it a day.

BTW, thanks for the link to the original map. I grabbed the images for my future projects folder.
    M
    Last edited by mearrin69; 08-21-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

rdanhenry, I am afraid my graphics skills are not sufficient to draw nice spaceships.

Mearrin, good catch - that duplicate New California was not intentional although I am sure in a Galactic Empire such duplicates will occur. I have a list of, hm, about 350 colony names so I'll just pick something else, or maybe I'll name it "New Francisco" or something

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Where is that quote from, from the first post? i like it.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went with flags/seals. I've also added some more star systems to the map itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy-01-j-smaller.png 
Views:	660 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	38731

Blog Entries

Thank you - It wasn't that hard really. The map is basically an inverted and tweaked version of the NASA Milky Way drawing: http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/image...-the-Milky-Way

It's not just a negative though, that would make the spiral arms too thin.

Next, I had to clear up some gunk that was left; there were areas that were too grey, and in the centers of the arms were areas that were too white. Used cloning a lot to fill in gaps.

After that, I resized the image - blew it up to huge proportions, and used a variety of filters to remove the blockiness from the map.

I'm sorry I can't give a very detailed list of what to do, as I didn't take notes.

But if I can do it, anybody can. I am hardly a gimp-expert.

All the lines, text, systems and so on, were then added with Inkscape.

Guild Member

Drooled over your map again. Only got one thing to say, Preseus Arm?

Heh, lovely map, I decided to go with the Pinwheel Galaxy as my base. I think I used that in my original work, dug up my old stuff from around 2000. Set up some galleries at Alternitechnity.

Its a work in progress, just got it started couple days ago, Graphics Galleries should be up, I hope to redo the stuff there with much much better quality, ugg. Once I do I might even be brave enough to post something here.
    Last edited by moriturimax; 01-31-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Thoughts wandering the event horizon.
    "..the next Riddick movie? It's a wild ride, I hear they're calling it Alice in Underverse."

Blog Entries

Thanks - typos do happen. i am sure at some point I will spot one on the A1 poster of my current map

Just took a really quick look at your gallery, you certainly do not need MY advice on drawing, nice stuff!

If you are interested though, I wouldn't mind releasing the basic gray galaxy image as cc-by. Hvae to run to work now but I'll upload it later.

Blog Entries

I've released the base image under the Creative Commons Attribution license: http://enderra.com/2012/02/01/milky-galaxy-black-white/

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12