Thread: Game of Thrones homebrew board game.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Imho this is a cool idea - but of course a game can only be misvalued if you never played it.
    What tools you use to play the game? Are there cards, cubes and how do players take turn?
    There are three elements to gameplay -
    The political game (gaining influence with minor houses)
    The strategic game (moving armies around the map)
    The tactical game (armies fighting against eachother)

Each house has a deck of cards (maybe 20, max), and players recruit units by drawing cards from these decks. They might be named characters like Robb Stark or Walder Frey, or they may be generic swordsmen, archers, or knights.

They keep these cards in small stacks in front of them facedown, as separate armies, which are numbered. The armies are represented on the board as a token with a number on it. Each player would be limited to about 5 armies active at a time.

When two armies are brought to battle, the cards are used in a short game, and cards may be killed or taken hostage in battle.

that's the basic outlay. There is also an element of supply management with each army, and some units will have no combat use, but have other ways to impact the tactical or political game.

[edit]

As to the artistry of the map: yea, definitely a WIP. I'm more focused on getting the game mechanics down, and creating cards for each of the named characters (130 at this time, and I haven't even made the special units at the wall or in King's Landing yet)

IIRC, i pulled the gold, the swords and shields, and the chicken legs from google images. the anchors were from there as well, but since they weren't photorealistic like the rest were, shrinking them down didn't pixelate them as much. The castles I made by hand.

I may, at some point, go back and remake them all so that the art styles match, but that's minor stuff at this point.
    Last edited by MazrimTaim; 08-16-2011 at 10:25 PM.