Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City Attempt: Iramir

Guild Adept

This will never be finished...
    however, I tried to correct the trees, and added some more quarters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iramir2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	38302

Beautiful work. I'd be insane by this point.

Looking real good. Love the overall shape of the city!

Guild Adept

Thanks for your appreciation.
    I was insane to begin with, so not a big deal after all.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Don't give up on it, you'll see light at the end of the tunnel eventually... just hope that it's not an on-coming train.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept

Seeing the light?
    I have almost decided not to insert any cultivated field, to emphasise the commercial and marine nature of the city. They probably get all they need in term of crops from commerce with near and distant populations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iramir2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	38445

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm sure the peasants can't afford to buy stuff at market everyday, though. Hate to say it but ya gotta have some fields. Looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm sure the peasants can't afford to buy stuff at market everyday, though. Hate to say it but ya gotta have some fields. Looks good.
    Paesants? If there are no fields there are no paesants.
    However, cultivations could be there, just a little bit farther away from the town. The main things is that I have not found how to do them decently with this kind of terrain.
    Last edited by feanaaro; 09-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If there are no peasants then no work will ever get done. The merchant class isn't going to do any hard labor - like unloading ships, carting goods from one end of town to another, tending the animals that pull the carts, cleaning up dung in the streets from animals pulling carts, fixing broken carts, serving as town watch or firewatch, warehouse guards, etc. and the clergy and nobility aren't going to do much of anything. Medieval towns are not like modern towns so they rely on the backs of laborers. In modern times all the hard labor is mostly in places we'd like to overlook and forget about...but it still exists (that shirt you're wearing wasn't made by someone knocking down $50,000 a year living in a 2,500 square foot home with 2.4 children and 2 nice cars in the garage and a pool out back). Also, refrigeration wasn't available so produce and dairy had to go from field to market rather quickly. Meats could be salted for some basic preservation but they wouldn't last all too long. If you have a town full of middle and upper class they need people to dust the shelves and sweep the floors and cook their dinners so you can never escape peasants. They may not be as trustworthy as you'd like them to be but they do the things others folks don't want to sully themselves with so they're very necessary.

As to how to do the fields nicely, that is trial and error. I struggle with fields all the time myself. I can do lots of different styles of crappy fields but not one style of good fields.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Hm, sure, I took "paesants" to mean "farmers", not "laborers". Of course there are workers and laborers, mostly sailors and fishermen, and also personal servants, builders etc etc. Though it is probably the richest city in the world (albeit not the most grandiose, because those people don't build much in terms of monuments), it is still quite full of poor people.
    The city is supposed to have intense and daily exchange with nearby populations, which are however different populations, used to sow and till the land while those one are sea people. I don't think that if the fields are, say, 4-5km outside the city (~1 hour walking) that would prevent dairy and produce to be consumed there. I mean, the difference between walking 2km between the margin of the city and its centre or 6 km from the fields to the centre is just not that big. Even if fields started just at the precise margin of the city, they would extend for an area big enough that a lot of them would be farther away.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast