Thread: City Attempt: Iramir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    This map has indeed turned out a bit messy because I was using different ways as I learned them (it is my first city-map, I am trying to be more "regular" for the other one, Maëren).
    However in the beginning I drew each house as a poligon (very wrong, don't do it that way), rasterised, and then filled each one with a pattern. Later I started filling larger squares with patterns, then erasing streets and other blank spaces, and finally filling some houses with different patterns to differentiate. In other cases, for larger building or isolated houses, I drew each one with the square or round brush, and then coloured separatedly with the desired pattern. So, for the most part, I did the colouring each separately but with some shortcuts.
    I had thought so. I still have to find a way to make coloring with this technique easier, too.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I had thought so. I still have to find a way to make coloring with this technique easier, too.
    By the way, since I see that you use photoshop, perhaps you could help me with a tiny problem. That is, when I have a little square (house) of one colour, and then apply a texture to it with the filler, most often than not PS leaves me with a slighty enlarged house. This may have to do with anti-aliasing perhaps, but is there a way of avoiding it (if you ever encountered the same problem).
    Thanks.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    By the way, since I see that you use photoshop, perhaps you could help me with a tiny problem. That is, when I have a little square (house) of one colour, and then apply a texture to it with the filler, most often than not PS leaves me with a slighty enlarged house. This may have to do with anti-aliasing perhaps, but is there a way of avoiding it (if you ever encountered the same problem).
    Thanks.
    I would say that is indeed an effect of anti-aliasing. You could of course contract the selection by one pixel, but this can result in a pixelated edge of the house. A possible way to avoid this could be to duplicate the layer and add the texture as a layer effect. Then you have to erase all rectangles you don't need. That's just a quick idea, but it could work.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I would say that is indeed an effect of anti-aliasing. You could of course contract the selection by one pixel, but this can result in a pixelated edge of the house. A possible way to avoid this could be to duplicate the layer and add the texture as a layer effect. Then you have to erase all rectangles you don't need. That's just a quick idea, but it could work.
    In this way would not I had to have a layer per each texture? That could be too much for my macbook.