Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you are roleplayers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You might want to give Savage Worlds a try. while it is not a dice pool, the rules are fairly simple plus the rules require no changes to move from one genre to another(in terms of base mechanics). The things that change are equipment and some skills. There is also a free test drive pdf on their site so you can get a good overview of the game before you purchase(and even then, the base rule book is only $10..settings rule books cost more but are not strictly required)
    I'm doing some commission work for Savage Mojo Games, that's my only connection to Savage Worlds - though no guarantee that I'd actually play. I'm not looking for another fantasy RPG, my current game works fine for my needs.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I'm doing some commission work for Savage Mojo Games, that's my only connection to Savage Worlds - though no guarantee that I'd actually play. I'm not looking for another fantasy RPG, my current game works fine for my needs.
    Sorry I did not specify GP.. my reply was for the original poster(Eilathen) since he said he has not found his "perfect" system as of yet.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You might want to give Savage Worlds a try.
    Thanks for the tip...BUT (be warned, rant ahead )

...as a mathematically inclined person, SW just rubs me the wrong way...how can a gamedesigner not take a look at his distribution?! It just baffles me. For example, on the d4, which in SW is a die for weaker abilties (in fact, for the weakest ability you can have), your chance of getting a 5 is higher than with the "better" d6 or any other higher die. That's just...argh!
    On top of that (which is kind of a un-sell me all on its own), it also uses a die step system, which i really dislike.

I think i will have to build my own system to truly get what i want. The question is, will i ever get around to doing that? In the end, some of the sytems i mentioned are close enough to my sweet-spot so that all the work of building an own system seems kind of overkill.

On that note, i said i like FATE, which is very hack-able...and yesterday, i started reading the Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies (which uses the PDQ system, tweaked for swashbuckling heroic play) and i have to say i really like it so far. Kind of like FATE, the system is very evocative but it is simpler than FATE. Might need to give this a try.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Played various versions of D&D, Rolemaster & a few others from junior high right thru until I got married. No time for them now unfortunately.

We tried Powers & Perils in college, I think it had potential, but never really seemed to catch on.
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-31-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I am also a PnP RPGer, have been for 17 years now.

We have a group that gets together more-or-less monthly to play primarily Pathfinder, though we occasionally foray into other games as well, such as Shadowrun, WoD D20, Rifts, and even pull out some 'legacy' games from time to time such as Mutant Chronicles or 1st ed D&D. We also cycle DM/GM's as well to prevent burnout.

It's a great past time.

I am a gamer through and through. STarted with Greyhawk, migrated to Forgetten Realms, back to Greyhawk, and have also played games such as: Rifts, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, VIllans & Vigilliants CHAMPIONS, TOP SECRET & TOP SECRET SI, GAMMA WORLD (Original), and STAR FRONTIERS (Original). Currently we are playing a PEN & PAPER version of FALLOUT and I would LOVE to find a Pen & Paper system for the MASS EFFECT
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

I roleplay! I like it, when there are a lot of people playing of course

I have only recently (last month) started Roleplaying, so I don't know so much about it. I really love writing, so its fun for me. I've only roleplayed A Song of Ice and Fire as one of the houses set against another for the Iron Throne. I would have to say my settings, if I understand what that is, is fantasy-adventure. I am probably wrong about that though xD
    Last edited by Alex; 08-31-2011 at 07:25 PM.

I remember seeing the build up ads for D&D in the comics I was reading. I waited until the book store got it in and bought it right up. I was cleaning up from a beach party we had at Lake Geneva in Wisconsin at my Uncle's house and Gary Gygax came by walking his dog. I was young and didn't even know who he was until later. He asked me if I was interested in games somewhere along our conversation and I brought up D&D. He spoke as though he PLAYED it, and I thought that was strange. For a while I always thought it was weird that this older guy was talking to me about D&D. Then I saw a picture of him and freaked out. I will never forget that day.

As for systems. I won't ever move past AD&D 2E as far as D&D. I have played GURPS. Judging by the the amount of people who play Pathfinder here and who I meet in the flesh, I may try it out.

Settings: Forgotten Realms and anything generated by Needamedic through the years.

Checking in! I think I've always been a gamer at heart. Started out with making my own rules for battling with armymen with my friends at, I think, age 8 or 9. My first run in with a "real" pnp rpg was James Bond at age 12, although we didn't quite get the rules (being Norwegian, and all the rules were in English), but it was still fun.
    About the same time I bought myself Elfquest the rpg, and had brief encounters with Twilight 2000, Shadowrun, Top Secret, Star Wars, Robotech and ADnD, before a friend of mine bought himself Warhammer FRPG, which we played quite some while alongside Cyberpunk 2020, which I got myself after reading an article about it in Dragon. Still get the same weird feeling when I read that article again. This we played alot.
    Until I found an old "left-behind" copy of GURPS 3E at my house. A friend and me had tried out the play by numbers adventure in the back, and he had forgotten it at my place. We tried it a couple of times, and we were all very hooked on this game where you could be ANYTHING! I still play GURPS. Switched to 4E when that came out, and haven't looked back. I'm currently running three GURPS campaigns. My own fantasy homebrew, GURPS Fallout, and a Lego space-opera still in development.
    I also play Pathfinder, having switched from DnD when that awful, smelly thing called 4th Edition came out.....
    Hmmmmm, other rpgames I've played include Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire, Alma Mater (a strange indie high-school(?) setting), and MERP.
    So, as you might get, my favorite system is GURPS, with Call of Cthulhu and Vampire on second and third.

I also play Magic TG, both Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, and everything else I can get my hands on.... I'm a gamer throughandthrough, and I think my gf would be happier if I didn't talk AND walk RPG.......

My favorite settings have to be Warhammer, Forgotten Realms, and Call of Cthulhu, the two former because of their long history and many many years of development. Cthulhu, beacuse[sic] of horror-filled dark-lit scary sessions...

Thanks.......
    -Sigurd Sigurd Brutus Motor-

I also roleplay. Mostly D&D (3e mainly but occasionally 4e, and the IK and Eberron settings primarily). I also play Shadowrun and Vampire and I've briefly played many other systems. And I run L5R a lot, as well as a weird setting of my own that uses the Shadowrun system and some very short D&D campaigns (basically single adventures for people who need the occasional RP fix but can't commit to long-term games).

As a result of that I make a lot of maps for RPGs, especially if it's a game I am personally running. It lets me put my skills to use too! But I also have a degree in Creative Writing and Linguistics and I have been working on a novel forever so I've got lots of maps and artwork I've done for that particular world. As well as all kinds of other random things I've done, a few of which occasionally get turned into RP games or inspire them.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast