Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
You might want to give Savage Worlds a try.
Thanks for the tip...BUT (be warned, rant ahead )

...as a mathematically inclined person, SW just rubs me the wrong way...how can a gamedesigner not take a look at his distribution?! It just baffles me. For example, on the d4, which in SW is a die for weaker abilties (in fact, for the weakest ability you can have), your chance of getting a 5 is higher than with the "better" d6 or any other higher die. That's just...argh!
On top of that (which is kind of a un-sell me all on its own), it also uses a die step system, which i really dislike.

I think i will have to build my own system to truly get what i want. The question is, will i ever get around to doing that? In the end, some of the sytems i mentioned are close enough to my sweet-spot so that all the work of building an own system seems kind of overkill.

On that note, i said i like FATE, which is very hack-able...and yesterday, i started reading the Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies (which uses the PDQ system, tweaked for swashbuckling heroic play) and i have to say i really like it so far. Kind of like FATE, the system is very evocative but it is simpler than FATE. Might need to give this a try.