Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Atlas Walkthrough [Fractal Terrains & Illustrator]

Of course, it violates the license to use an educational edition for professional work, so if you go that route, you're limited to using it solely for personal use. Not that Adobe would probably notice, but if you've started a publishing company, it's probably best that you paid for a standard license.

Hope you're enjoying yourself!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

a discount off $1799 would have been nice... they are very proud of their creative programs... that is FO' SURE...

No kidding. I'm looking at the Master Collection, with both the video and graphic design apps, since I am going into visual effects for film and my wife is a graphic designer. $2500 retail or a mere $1000 for the educational license. I think I can get it even cheaper if I buy it through my university, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'm not sure how I could have done it.. I'm not in school and have no ties with any university... any discount with a price tag like that is a welcome sight...

You say that the first image you save to jpg is a 2 color non shaded map ... land is white.. water is blue.. but the thumbnail for your first example has land as blue... water is white....

I used the pic to set my settings.... which made the land blue, the water white.

Also... I saved it at 4800 px wide... does it normally take FT so long to save a file that size.?
    Last edited by Badger; 03-21-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added question

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    You say that the first image you save to jpg is a 2 color non shaded map ... land is white.. water is blue.. but the thumbnail for your first example has land as blue... water is white....

I used the pic to set my settings.... which made the land blue, the water white.

Also... I saved it at 4800 px wide... does it normally take FT so long to save a file that size.?
    I totally messed that up. Yes, I normally make the water blue and the land white, but the thumbnail shows it the other way. The thumbnail is wrong - good catch!

And yes, it takes FT a long time to save a 4800 px image, so be patient!

-Rob

I'm running an updated version of FT Pro, so my grid settings look a bit different... actually.. alot different. It has a menu where you can show/hide multiple grids. I set one up like the first grid, and a second one up like the underlying grid. But with those settings active, it takes FORever to load up the grid... so long in fact, i've yet to wait long enough to see if it fully loads because it takes up a whopping chunk of RAM as it loads up.

Could it be the zoom level i'm at? I've tried it zoomed in, but it seems to do no good. will that particular jpg be crucial to the map? I know I've read the whole tutorial, but I thought I would ask if I positively need it for the end result...

I'm going to play around with the grid settings and see if I can load one up that I like and doesn't take a dog's age to load.

HR... Please don't hate me... I just happen to keep having a lot of questions...

When you set up your Illustrator file... size 16x10, what do you initially have the color mode at (CMYK or RGB?) and at what raster effect DPI do you set it at? (300dpi?)

And, I'm new to Illustrator, so bare with me as I stumble threw this tutorial. Thanks.

Post Graticule Missing

Hey Rob - really appreciate the tutorial.

Two fractal terrains questions:

1. I'm assuming you're saving 'views' from your globe view. Do you ever get near the poles? What would a map of one of your poles look like?

2. What CC2 setting do you use? When I opt to save as JPG I generally have to build with a CC2 export for the selection. I can't find a setting that exports the graticule.

-Sigurd

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    HR... Please don't hate me... I just happen to keep having a lot of questions...

When you set up your Illustrator file... size 16x10, what do you initially have the color mode at (CMYK or RGB?) and at what raster effect DPI do you set it at? (300dpi?)

And, I'm new to Illustrator, so bare with me as I stumble threw this tutorial. Thanks.
    CMYK, 300dpi. No sweat.

Also... don't wait for the grid to load. I can never get a 1 degree grid to show up in FT either, but when you save the jpg, it will be there.

Sigurd-
    Here is a map of the north pole. It works just the same as any other area of the globe, because I have chosen a map projection. As for CC2 settings, I don't use CC2 so I have no idea. Sorry!

-Rob

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast